Thread: Fruits Of My Labor (A-113)

Threaded View

cardboard tube corners??

Another couple cheats: One is wigglewood. Fully stocked lumber stores. Concrete guys use it to make forms for curvey walls. The ply is all one direction no cross veneers, uni-direction layers are glued to unwoven cloth scrim, easy to form any linear curve. Meant for forming, not to include in a composite.

Incorporated a cardboard mailing tube for a radius right angle corner on the 1/4" plywood cupboard front in the galley. [pix @ ebb's PGT/pg17/#336]
    It was 'easy' to glue the paper tube to the 90 degree front & side connecting the pieces.
    BUT first the setback ply edges were feathered inside to the tube's diameter
    which made a pretty good curved surface in those edges to glue the tube onto. Turned out this feathering for a 3"D circle on 1/4" ply is about 3/4" wide, coming to a sharp edge. The cardboard radius, the tube, is epoxied to the inside of the ply panels. Think that's important.
    Glued that way, the cardboard appears to be on the same plane as the outside ply surface. Not obvious what material makes the fancy corner.

So, a WHOLE 3"D white USPS mailing tube - including plastic endcap inserts - was used to glue the prepared ply pieces together to make up this OHSO upscale radius corner (insert end caps make the paper tube quite stiff.)
    After cure, cut off top, bottom and sliced away the whole inside unglued portion - which was at least 66% of the tube. It's called: 'cutting corners.'
    Voila!...round cardboard corner. (Careful! It's a bit limp at this point.)

SHOCKING!!!, you call this fine woodworking?

The corner outside has no visible seams after sealing and priming.
    However, the unseen 'inside' of the glue-up has two or three overlapping glass pieces laminated around the corner for strength - tieing it together, beefing up and stiffening the cardboard. The whole thing is saturated and encapsulated epoxy and cloth.....and cardboard.
    It seems to have worked well enough to make me think that the method could be used on exterior fiberglass projects - if the weather-side of the panel also had a layer of cloth & epoxy - instrument covers, dorades, vents, even small hatches. I left this interior piece well sealed but one sided in way of fiberglass.

Still haven't installed the cupboard front with its short side piece and nice but rather thin corner (when you look at it edge on.). It's stiff and doesn't bend or flop. It's been in and out of the boat and truck a number of times. That fake corner hangs in there - plenty opportunity to have torn it off already - nope! Knock-on-wood.
    There is NO movement, springback or change in radius on this cheap shot. It might as well be solid wood......but why?
    (Tony, it certainly seems like I'm a paper tiger beating his chest here. Sorry. Had to point out that cheating is a fact of cabinet making.)
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________
    OnlineMetals ships stuff in thick/heavy cardboard tubes which I've used pieces of for forms. But those tubes are way too thick for even thinned epoxy to penetrate and soak.
    This Gov'mint issue thinwall cardboard tube material transforms into another animal when it's absorbed epoxy juice. And shelled with glass cloth.
    Last edited by ebb; 11-28-2011 at 08:24 AM.