+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast

Thread: Fruits Of My Labor (A-113)

Hybrid View

Fruits Of My Labor (A-113)

While some of you were relaxing this weekend or perhaps even sailing...congratulations Mike I'm just begining to comprehend... I FINALLY got to work on 113 for close to five hours. Now that may not seem like much to many of you out there who enjoy 'simply messing about in boats',but it's the longest stretch I've got to work on her since bringing her home in May 2001. I've wanted to rearrange some things all along and the whole 'bulkhead thing' has proven to be the catalyst to get things started. We're not going as far as shag carpet, but I pictured something a little bit taller, maybe U-shaped, maybe curved...
    Attached Images  

Oh my God! What have I done! This bugger was a bit of a beast to remove. 'Guess that's what everybody says that has tried it before. Anyways, I'm glad it's gone now and I can't imagine the original ice box could keep anything cool for more than a day.
    Attached Images  

...and here's what kind'a started it all. Geez, it sort of roomy in here now. Maybe I just need to bring less stuff with me-like that Zoltan cat.
    Attached Images  

Being I can never spell bureau correctly (bad spellers of the world UNTIE!)we'll just call this picture former port drawers.
    Attached Images  

You've probably figured me out by now. Yep, starboard too.
    Attached Images  

Oh my god, another Ebb

Tony,
    You can still go sailing with no interior , in fact you are faster .
    BTW , #45 is far from finished .

Mike G

Tony,

What are your plans?

#66 looks much the same right now--I stripped out the cabinets a few weekends ago (although your paint looks to be in much better condition). I can't see replacing the forward cabinets; the icebox & after cabinetry will be replaced by a simple, long counter (you cannot have too much counter space).

Bill,

From you comment, can we infer that Ebb did this too?

Ebb,

Did you do any mods to the interior? How about some pictures?

Ebb may be busy managing the vines at the estate this time of the year. When last seen, Ebb had removed the total interior, including the strongback.

ebb's strongback is back

I'd have some pictures for here if I went and got a digital picture-maker or whatever it takes. But I need to be told and given a few alternatives what I must do. I have a Dell computer XPS7544. As soon as I'm motivated I'll go to goodguys and pretend I'm in the 21st century and 21 years old. Both of which I'm not.

338 now has a laminated white oak beam supported at the ends with oak braces terminating at the V-berth plywood. Underneath are magogany supports that fair and tab to the hull. taking some of the load away from the very casual cleat that supposedly supports the berth plywood at the bulkhead (actually the plywood is tabed UP on the bulkhead with polyester and mat.) This may be moot as the whole compression beam assembly is glued with cabosil, choppedglass and epoxy. It and what is left of the bulkhead are ONE I will also drive in mechanical fastenings as soon as I get some.

The bulkhead has been cut away opening up the cabin to include the forepeak stateroom. Where the head used to be is a bulkhead that contained the original watertank. This will be extended up and to the sides to make a 'crash' bulkhead that will have a large interior access hatch and the anchor locker forward where the water tank used to be.

Seriously considering custom made poly tanks port and stbd under the shortened V-berth. IE rather than glassed-io-place epoxy.

I've extended the stringers (maybe you think they are shelf supports) forward to the stem and am in the process of reinforcing the stem itself which I found to be quite thin. barely 3/8s of an inch at the watertank bulkhead where I'm putting in the sonar gizmo.

So, watchout when you start taking the furniture out!! Personally, I think Carlos left the interior up to the cousins, otherwise how could it be so awful? imho imho inmh ok?

I'm having some fun right now fairing the linerless forward part of the truck cabin so it kindof matches in smoothness the liner everywhere else. I think the rounded edge of the coachroof and the deck carried all the way around will be a treat.

The deck up forward has had a couple of minor oaklam beams put in so that a foredeck hatch can be cut in. There'll be a matching Bomar where the original is on the coach. ....this can go on and on and on. Luck on yer refit. And remember, use an epoxy that doesn't blush, it's a hell of a lot easier to come back to the job to fix yer mistakes.
    Last edited by ebb; 07-30-2002 at 05:08 PM.

Photos

Ebb, how about Gene and I visit and take photos for posting? Next week sometime? (These retired people are so busy you have to get appointments a week or more in advance )

appointment in S.Raphael

Next week'll be fine. You guys did Thursdays befor. Remember the hull is still nude inside and virtually featureless because of exposed green fiberglass and bits of pearsonpaint. There just may not be enough to picture, you know, but we be honored to see you. 8/8/2002 noonish ??

Let me check with Gene and get back to you.

#66, also hacked-up inside.
    Attached Images  

Starboard side...
    Attached Images  

+ Reply to Thread