Thread: Fruits Of My Labor (A-113)

Threaded View

where to put the vent?

Both small composters require POSITIVE venting
    That something has to draw air from the chamber to some point outside.

It's a rather large hidden extra cost if you go with a day/night nicro vent
    Alternatively a small fan can be wired into the boat's system.
    A caveat is that both composters need constant air circulation, so if it's wired you have a constant draw,
    altho these days you can find very efficient fans. A $10 fan is included in the monster cost of the composter.
    First thought is that if you're going to have a 100,000 year old toilet in your boat you might as well go non-electric as well - so I'd look to a solar powered/battery back-up fan.

This type fan and stainless cover has a substantial footprint. In fact wherever you imagine it can go it will sustain many more footprints. These things aren't meant to be trodden on.

But, that said, if you can figure out a way for the forward cowl vent to share the work then that's a fine idea.
    But isn't the composter an OUTIE and the cowl vent an INNY?

The little reading you can do about these heads is that they do NOT stink.
    If used precisely as instructed.
    Infact they can be quite neutral. Have to spike the bottle with white sugar to deodorize! Better be innocuous because my bunk is right over the throne!
    The only problem is the legal disposal of liquid and 'solids'
    and that it can get too cold inside a boat for the bacterial process in the composter to be happy.
    It is another bell curve of learning, but anything is better than wet flushing into a holding tank, pipes valves, anaerobic smells, and ignominious pumpouts at a dock. Even a potopottie has a sickly sweet bad smell.
    Last edited by ebb; 06-04-2010 at 12:02 PM.