+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fruits Of My Labor (A-113)

Hybrid View

Tony

Never let it be said that you do anything half way.

It is always so much easier to get rid of anything in the way and start from scratch when doing a project like you are doing. I can't wait to see what goes back in.
    JERRY CARPENTER - C147
    A man can succeed at almost anything for which he has unlimited enthusiam.

samson posts/struts

It's too late for lit'lgull to have her forward bulkhead repositioned.

I'm convinced NOW that I want samson posts for mooring (and maybe have the bowsprit bear against.)
    It would have been real sweet to have a sturdy bulkhead right there inside where thru-deck samson-struts could be bolted to!

Not possible to imagine how any bolt-to-the-deck bollard OR stainless samson post can be installed strong enough to hang a three ton boat from in a blow.

I'll have to somehow connect the posts to the hull inside with braces and brackets or a molded in frp socket. Along with doublers under the deck, maybe have a cross beam in front of the posts.
    I'll be a problem in a now really restricted area!!!

You are at square one, Tony, if you're planning a foredeck for anything but a marina tie-up!
    Interested to see what you come up with.
    Last edited by ebb; 06-15-2010 at 01:59 PM.

I have about three days here where I can get some work done and then I'm away from the boat for a couple weeks. That'll be hard being she's prime for working on and I'm prime for workin'! I wanna see some progress.

It's all pretty straight forward, as far as what's going back in. No frills and a mess less than I was going to try the first time around. Striving to stick with 'form follows function' philosophy. You know-KISS

I am planning for on the hook and off the grid and into some diving again. As much as I loved SCUBA we'll be leaning toward free diving out of practicality. That's how I started anyhow! And I remember having a blast doing it too!

I like the the idea of a sampson post, Ebb. But I am trying to reduce the number of things poking up through the deck. I suppose there is an easy way to keep them water tight and dry. And they sure would add to the stability of a sprit. I'm just looking to add a secure eye for a solent stay and a bit more room to stretch out if I have to take to the v-berth. Although, I really like the sprit(?)/anchor platform on them thar Nor'sea 27s. If we put a sprit on the nose I'm contemplating switching out the stem fitting for a simple strap like the backstay. What do ya think about that?
    My home has a keel.

Stem Strap. Yes many boats have that. Would save weight if you're going with anchor roller/channels.Remember you have to incorporate another attachment point for the foot of the sail.
    Another plate.
    Bingham, (the Sailor's Sketchbook pg80/81) has idea drawings of stem and double anchor roller weld ups which might be very useful for a small cruiser. Something like that would slip over the Ariel nose.
    And maybe even reuse the 8" bolt for the major attachment. That's the one that goes through the top hole in the original and exits through curve of the toerail/nose. Imco a VERY strong forestay attachment method.

If your Solent is coming from a lower position on the mast but to the stemhead fitting, don't you already have a third hole in the fitting that can be used for that?
    Last edited by ebb; 06-15-2010 at 02:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ebb View Post
    If your Solent is coming from a lower position on the mast but to the stemhead fitting, don't you already have a third hole in the fitting that can be used for that?
    Our current plan is to attach the solent as close to the top of the mast as I can get without interfering with the furler. (I know the furling vs. hank on argument-but I have a new furler and new head sail cut to it so I'm going to use it.) Then put a (what do you call it?) fitting about two feet back from the stem. A line drawn through these two points would intersect a point on the sheer a few inches above the waterline . That point is about as far as I can comfortably reach over the side of the bow. So I think that would be a good place to mount a sturdy 'U' bolt or eye that an anchor chain snubber could be attacted to. The backing hardware for this snubber attachment point could serve as an attachment for even more hardware that would secure the solent's hardware to the hull as well as the deck thereby taking some of the strain off of the deck whe the solent is being used. If we add a couple of inches of teak into the mix for an anchor platform/sprit that should strengthen everything up a little more yet.
    Last edited by Tony G; 06-16-2010 at 08:44 AM.
    My home has a keel.

solent stay

GOT IT!
    Actually got it backwards.
    If the reason for a solent stay is because you have a permanent furler on the forestay, then in theory the solent will be used for the storm sail - hanked on.
    That would mean you can put the attachment point for the solent as far forward as you need to and even get a decent sized staysail.

The attachment for a storm sail in the Ariel deck is pretty technical, I think.
    If the solent is more forward then the 'U-bolt' can be backed up with a turnbuckle to a strongpoint built into the stem. I mean a turn buckle more forward would be less in the way in the chain locker.

[At one point I imagined a reverse eye in the stem, attached thru the stem with the eye inside!
    Desperate measures - don't know if it is practical - but you do need imco more backup than what you can get with our composite deck and plywood.]

A Solent stay is a movable stay.
    ABI is out of business and their Hyfield lever no longer available.
    Johnson makes a nice backstay turnbuckle with integrated levers for tensioning that have been used for Solent stays by others.
    Might be worth looking into. 5/16", $400!
    Last edited by ebb; 06-16-2010 at 09:55 AM.

wether you spell it hyfield or highfield it is high bucks and hard to find! I've run across a few used ones but they have been for a much bigger stay diameter than practical for my needs.

Some plan-B, C and D ideas include:
    Attached Images      
    Last edited by Tony G; 07-07-2010 at 12:23 PM.
    My home has a keel.

+ Reply to Thread