+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: deck scuppers

Photo of cut out in toe rail for drainage

And the huge Yamaha hanging off the stern....
    Attached Images  

Janice ,
    there is a device that you attach to your outboard to give the leverage to tilt it up .
    West marine may sell it or Defender , I will look thriugh my catalogues .

Stern rail

Janice,is that a solar panel across your stern rail?

I ordered a motor tilter. It came but is too large for my outboard. It says its adjustable, it is after you have to drill your own holes. I just bought a drill today.. Its one of the first things I'll be drilling.

yea, that's a solar panel.

Here is a shot of the business part of the deck drain on Commander 105 ( shot is sideways, underside of deck is to your left ) , #45 is done very much the same .
    Attached Images  

Mike
    I could deal with that. 'Don't know why 113 was blessed with such butt-ugly work. It seems to me that an occational puddle of water on the side decks would be a small annoyance compared to four more holes in the hull and deck! Especially since the port scupper leaks and if you didin't happen to notice the photos I posted they're located far enough forward to involve the core. That wicked, wicked scupper! Anyways they gotta go. We'll move them aft to where the water actually sits and probably drain them into the cockpit drain below. We thought about draining them into the outboard well but I don't like the angle or the idea of that much hose running through the lockers. Something glassed to the inside of the hull would be nice. Thanks for posting the 'bussiness end', it's both eye candy and food for thought I assumed that everybody had hoses.

a new twist...

hope you don't mind Mike
    Attached Images  

Pearson opened the toe rail at the aft end to allow water to drain, but after which hull number is unclear. I'm guessing it was someplace between #50 and #70.
    Attached Images  

Talking

Well I like that better , you think it's too late for a recall on the early boats ?

Must have been after #66; she still has the solid toe rail with the scuppers at mid-cockpit.

We're getting close We can now say that the change was made after #66 and by #74.

338 is open thru the taffrail also. But the end is partially raised with a wedge of what for all the world looks like gelcoat. Any water left on the deck puddles there at the end of the toe rail and of course eventually left a brown stain.

Do other Ariels have this added feature of not allowing the deck to drain fully even tho it is open all the way thru? Was the 'wedge added to prevent a drip stain from occuring on the transom?

I would like to remove the gelcoat wedge filler and fair the run right off the back of the boat. I was thinking that the removal would be easy and a little sharp lip could be epoxied in place to create a drip edge that wouldn't want to run down the transom. Any thoughts on this?

Another draining problem is the far corners of the cockpit seats where on 338 there is evidence of water collecting. Has anybody come up with a solution for this?

[I just had a minor inspiration in that I saw the fix for the aft corners of the seats. There are off the shelf grey tube electrical sweeps which with appropriate collars and strate bits could be led from a hole in the corner down along the lazarette bulkhead and thru the cockpit seat side with a hole like the lid drains that are already there. Boont Amber Ale, Anderson Valley] Anybody done anything like this or even found it necessary? I'm also not sure that PVC and epoxy like to get connected?
    Last edited by ebb; 08-05-2002 at 07:24 PM.

The open end is for draining while sailing, not while at the dock And, it is also the reason there are scuppers placed at what was (at one time) the low point along the rail. As the trim of the boat changes, so does the location of the low point. Usually, the low point moves aft as more weight collects in the stern third and the boat no longer rides on its design lines.

As for water on the cockpit seats, I use cushons. Bottom Siders are great and they give me the inch I need to see over the coachroof.

Thanks Bill. I can see now on the large copy of the boat lines right in front of me here on the wall that there is forsooth a perky rise to Ariel's butt. The deck certainly rises at the stern But what explains the apparant afterthought of that partial filler in the waterway? Is it just my 338? Why bother putting it there? Maybe Pearson goofed again on poor little 338?

I don't see what 338 has in your photo. I'm just curious. I'll leave it in until after inspection Monday. And I wonder if others have the same weirdness. My filler looks factory. I think it's toerail plaque.
    Last edited by ebb; 08-05-2002 at 11:12 PM.

+ Reply to Thread