Thread: dry-out legs for the Ariel

Threaded View

dry out legs

James,
    it's great to hear from you over to here!
    I can smell the ocean, feel the breeze, hear the birds on your website.
    It keeps my dream alive!
    Seems that making an A/C more self-sufficient as a cruiser is a continuous plan. But it's being done from the yard on the hard rather than a skipper's point of reference.
    I take your dry out legs AND your sea legs with total respect and admiration.

Getting an Ariel to stand with a couple of props off the sides is a very important trick to know about. Any Alberg designed little ship should be able to do it. In fact any encapsulated keel boat should have that option. Even marina berthed boat skippers should be aware how to rig them.

"Maximaize degrees of freedom."
    To me it is a degree. It rates with the ability to raise and lower the mast by oneself, and alternative propulsion (no wind/no motor). My intent one day SOON is to live aboard the boat on a very limited retirement fund. Expensive haulouts will be few. I won't be able to 'afford' the luxury of seasonal bottom painting. If the intent holds, there won't be any seasons per se. Any mast maintenance will be on my own hook also. Any bottom work on my own madagasgars.

The Leatherman approach is the way it is going to be. Little Gull is a survival tool!
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Your Dry Out Legs system is more subtle than I imagined. I did not see, for instance, that the lines from the bow and stern to the foot creates pressure inward (on the sand) and therefor the lever action of the leg is outward at the chainplate. So you have with the all important chaffing block the two point rigidity needed to lock the leg. And I see now that the chainplate is an immovable point. Not sure how the adjustment happens as the tide goes out. Can imagine it might take a few tides to get it right.

My role as a contributing guest here in Bill's tree has become to be a sort of provocateur or puck (maybe putz is the word). At the same time getting older has turned me into a curmudgeon. It shows in the 'style' of writing here - I assure you it is all unintentional. Information is what it's about. My impatience does not serve me well. Sorry.

Legs for the Ariel is meant as an inquiry. I do feel that other spars on board should do double duty if possible. Should be explored.
    If sweeps could be used, if the cruiser carries them, then they should be considered potential props/legs. I think I'm trying to provoke discussion. In fact, my only hope in this Forum is to provoke discussion. Doesn't always work.

Everybody ought to be interested in dryout legs. RIGHT?

James, thanks for sharing the idea. I can't think of a single Tip book ('How To Sail Around the Planet') that talks about dry out legs. Even Brion Toss missed it.
    __________________________________________________ ______________________________________________
    Are you still making Primus gimbals?? I'm gone kerosene. Please, Captain, I would like to purchase a set!
    Last edited by ebb; 08-28-2007 at 08:25 AM.