I have been slowly repairing an Ariel (#132) in Honolulu over the past few years, and am finally preparing for an interisland sail. The last item on my list is to secure a "bulletproof" headsail that can withstand 30 plus knot winds for cruising in the Hawaiian islands. Even though the distances are short, most people here prepare for such a sail as if it were off-shore, blue water cruising due to the risks involved. I have been checking out a lot of sites for both used and new sails, but this is my question:

What are the optimal sail configurations for this type of sailing for an Ariel? For example, Do I go with a smaller headsail (75%) and perhaps one reef in the main, or with a genoa (120%) and two reefs in the main. I am worried that a larger headsail, despite the double reef, will be overpowered, but that a smaller headsail may not provide a lot of power to move the boat upwind.

In the case of the smaller headsails, I have found it virtually impossible to find used sails with approporiate dimensions for the Ariel that are heavy weight (probably 8 oz Dacron) with hanks. Many sales reps have suggested that I have one custom built, but before I do that, want to make sure I have the optimal sailing configuration. (my main sail can be double reefed).

I am on a shoestring budget trying to realize a dream of sailing interisland in Hawaii, but can probably only invest in one headsail right now. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks