I am not confident in the stanchions' bedding. Someone can create a lot of leverage on the deck by leaning on the tops of one of these poles. People always seem to want to grab the stanchions when they are helping me dock and launch the boat - perhaps if my docking were more perfected they wouldn't have that urge.

I saw the guy at the shipyard, where I hauled my boat out last year, move the boat by pushing on one of the stanchions. He bent it. That can't be good for the deck - a 250lb guy cranking on a lever 2+ feet above the deck. No matter how much I tell people not to do that sort of thing they are always doing it.

Are the safety lines actually going to help keep someone safe while they are on the foredeck? I have two pictures in mind:

1) one where somebody goes out on my foredeck and is holding onto these lines thinking it's a safe thing to do and an accident happens because they are on the wrong part of the foredeck

2) somebody is low on the foredeck, the boat heals, and they fall against one of these lines and in some way it keeps them from going overboard.

I am not sure which is more likely.