+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Rotted Wood Combing

Rotted Wood Combing

The combing (the 2 long pieces of wood on either side of the cockpit) on one side of my boat has some rot.

They're currently painted, and I'd like nice restored looking ones. I am wondering if it is worth doing that work, or if I should just take them off and having new ones built.

On the one hand, I am thinking that taking out and putting back all those screws would be a real pain. On the other hand I am not too excited about the idea of trying to strip the paint off and restore them while still attached to the boat.

I am not sure what the right approach would be.

Any thoughts.

I should have said my boat is a Commander.

If you have rot in one of them, I'd bet there's more to be found elsewhere. And imagine how bad they must have been for someone to paint them over...

Taking them off and replacing them is not so bad. I used to do it on my old Ensign every winter so I could refinish, and now on my Triton I will take the coamings off every other year for a thorough sanding and several coats of varnish.

The only way to get nice looking restored coamings is to remove them. If you have rot, might as well plan on new ones. Use mahogany for a more attractive look and to save huge amounts of money over teak--many or most Pearsons of our vintage used mahogany for the deck trim anyway.

It is well worth the effort to make new ones...these coamings make the boat.

Tim
    Attached Images  

Oh, you can see how I built my coamings if you follow this link:

www.triton381.com/decktrim2.htm

Tim
    Attached Images  

Have to admint that these Triton guys get it right sometimes Go for the new combings!

I agree: If the coamings are painted, chances are someone was looking for a shortcut. Maybe they were trying to avoid varnishing or maybe they were trying to hide the rot.

I'd replace them.

Jeez Tim,
    Now we all hafta do that and what kind of paint did you use ?

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.
    I would try to restore the end pieces (where the boards attach to the cabin) These were made out of some large blocks of wood and you would need to do alot of measuring and cutting to get them right.

Other than that, you just have two long boards.

They come off easily, unless somebody used alot of sealant attaching them to the boat.
    Attached Images  

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.
    The boards bend quite a bit when you attach them, which is probably another reason to use mahogany.
    Attached Images  

The coamings really do make the boat.
    Attached Images  

Unhappy

Thanks alot guys.

It's true, your boats look very smart with the nice looking coamings. Now that I know that many of you take them off your boat I am less fearfull about doing it.

Another thing. I am pretty certain I am going tae the stanchions . I am forever telling people not to push/pull on them and not to trust them to hold their weight. It doesn't seem to matter how politely, sternly, or how often I say it they will still push or pull on them.

Any strong opinions one way or another?

Discussion on Lifelines and Stanchions has been moved to a new thread with that title. To jump, please click the link below.

Thank you

http://www.pearsonariel.org/discussi...p?threadid=163
    Last edited by Bill; 05-29-2006 at 10:17 PM.

How do you folks who routinely remove your coaming "seal" them when replacing - or do you just screw them back in place? I'm guessing lots of butyl sin't a such a good idea... http://www.pearsonariel.org/discussi...tid=3336&stc=1
    Last edited by mbd; 06-10-2006 at 01:00 PM.
    Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)

Since I started this thread I figured I send an update.

I don't own my commander anymore, but the new owner did a beautiful job replacing the coamings. He is much more deserving of the boat.

P.S. I sold it because I moved to Europe. I hope I am forgiven for selling it on that basis :-)

Mike

I've done this three times now. once with 3M 101, twice with life caulk. If you seal just the fastners, you will end up with a wet seat in the cockpit from water washing over the deck. Any soft caulk looks like it will work without destroying the coamings in removal. Oh by the way, if you heat your putty knife with a propane torch it will cut right through the caulk when it's time to remove.

Cheers
    Bill

+ Reply to Thread