+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast

Thread: Commander #65 "Lucky Dawg"

mast base info

Hey Guys,
    My friend got back to me, and the CNC shop he used for my mast base is out of business. Since much of the expense is in set up, my only suggestion is that the three of you get together and split the price. Sorry I couldn't hook you up.

Hi Kyle,

Thanks for your efforts. I'll probably use my old one, which isn't in bad shape. Just needs a little sealing and paint.

Fritz

Hey Folks! At launch on Thursday, I had a leaking 2" thru hull that was an old speedo / transducer. Hauled it back out and weighing my options. I can just patch that hole, or I was thinking that if in the future I wanted to put in a chartplotter with depth, that that might require a similar transducer... Am I correct in that assumption? I wouldn't be looking for a fishfinder down the road, but I don't know how a chartplotter system works to get depth and water temp.

In chatting online with the WM advisor, apparently transducers are proprietary, so if I went that direction, I'd need to pick a brand in advance!

SO, basic question is filling vs putting new transducer for future use in same hole. Thoughts?

interior of transducer set up in bilge, and hole in hull just above keel with transducer removed.

Name:  transducer.jpg
Views: 1123
Size:  9.0 KB Name:  hole.jpg
Views: 1091
Size:  8.4 KB
    Last edited by Lucky Dawg; 05-20-2017 at 09:26 AM.

bilge hole

Kyle, just chatting here. Don't have an answer. Just questions.

Seems to me a better location for chart plotters would be higher
    up in a more horizontal location. And that would be more likely
    for other electronics thru-hulls.

Scares me a hole that deep and inaccessible, Maybe it should be
    permanently closed off, removed and fiberglassed.

If manufacturers have each proprietary thru-hulls then you should
    it seems install the recommended system, rather than jerry an
    old hole. Gook luck!

(Also assume that's a metal fitting. You don't know what kind of
    bronze or brass it is. Could be weakened, anything. Gives you
    an opportunity to put in the kind of thru-hull you trust.)
    Last edited by ebb; 05-20-2017 at 10:13 AM.

Thanks Ebb. I think it housed an old speedo, so it would make sense in that spot. I have a depth meter transducer somewhere, but I have no clue where - maybe at the rudder shoe? that thru hull is a plastic fitting - I always thought it was metal, but nope. And thanks, below the waterline, you're probably correct that glassing it over is the better course of action.

Plastic connector thru-hull isn't really right for any underwater hole.

Maralon would be OK.

Years ago, the first big purchase for littlegull was a 'forward looking' sounder.

Dug a hole in the stem for the rather large transducer, that entered the hull

right where the curved front of the cabin is on deck. The Interphase must be

obsolete by now, so don't know what I'm to do with that hole. Hope I remember

at splash.

All patched up. Glassed a 3 layer sandwich of glass inside the bilge. Cut a <2" round plug from some solid 1/2" fiberglass that Torresen's had laying around and plugged the hole with that plus thickened epoxy. 3 layer glass sandwich over that plug. (pictured) and then epoxy with light fairing beads to make an nice smooth surface on the keel (picture 2) 4 coats of Interlux barrier coat to come tomorrow - a pain to get it up to 10 mils (can says that is 4 coats) because it's 3 hours between coats and each batch has to sit after mixing for 20 minutes before application. Lots of 40 minute round trips to the boat tomorrow. If I can slap some VC17 on it first thing Monday AM, I may be able to relaunch Monday lunchtime. Fingers crossed.

Name:  patched.jpg
Views: 1075
Size:  101.9 KB Name:  faired.jpg
Views: 1082
Size:  78.6 KB

Nicely done. Be sure you coat the 410 with some of that grey 2000.

And She's back!

Name:  splashing.jpg
Views: 1043
Size:  59.7 KB

Exclamation Lucky Dawg

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

S/V KidShip, er, Lucky Dawg is back at it. A fun and splashy 16-18kts on Monday for first 2017 sail. Kids were great sports with the occasional blast of cold water over the bow. Easier to swallow given that Captain KW took a couple fat soakings in the process.
    Attached Images        

When you're motoring out of your slip, push the tiller to stbd and hear a big "kerthunk"

Name:  kerthunk.jpg
Views: 1020
Size:  14.7 KB

(Tiller head is fine, bolt was just loose)

Been a busy summer with great sailing in Michigan and Maine. Big crew today with 6 kids, dog, plus me. (Mine are at R and L, back row) NOT big wind though, so we spent some time at the State Park (43°14'11.58"N 86°19'33.31"W) swimming and climbing dunes. Anchored in 5' of water (all sandy bottom here) I washed the topsides and scrubbed the bootstripe clean-ish. Last Monday 20+ and fun waves for the crew on the Big Lake. Never know what yer gonna get....

Name:  2017Dawg.jpg
Views: 976
Size:  222.8 KB

Name:  bigcrew.jpg
Views: 995
Size:  265.3 KB

New Dawg in the Williams fleet. (Successful Opti classes all summer)

Name:  LilDawgOpti.jpg
Views: 954
Size:  95.1 KB

Caught on the NOAA / GLERL web cam: Lucky Dawg returning from Lake Michigan yesterday. Flat with 6-8kts. Just a few weeks left till Halloween haul-out - need a BIG day to cap the season

(Lucky Dawg approaching the inner light)
    Name:  dawgReturns100917.JPG
Views: 926
Size:  188.2 KB

+ Reply to Thread