+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast

Thread: Commander #65 "Lucky Dawg"

Cozy! The Dawg is looking awesome as always.
    Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)

She doesn't look so hot at the moment! Companionway and hatchrails removed, rubrail removed, topsides paint repairs half done, garboard drain in process. Most of those projects / re-installs are at a bit of standstill waiting for the temp in the warehouse to get above 40* (it's been more like 20*.) Things don't seem to cure below 40*+. Windows are installed, but I'm waiting for a warm up to install the butyl. It'll all come to a head in a couple weeks. I have a huge spreadsheet of projects, materials, and tools to throw in the trunk before each trip to the warehouse for slices of projects. Kyle Williams "Master of the Obvious", but varnishing from bare wood is a time consuming process. The hatch brightwork all looks nice though and was long overdue.

Thumbs up Wow!

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Dawg View Post
    These would roll out prettier in the summer sunshine, but... I'll take some interior next visit.

Attachment 9436 Attachment 9437 Attachment 9438 Attachment 9439
    Those look great!!! I haven't done mine yet and love those . where did you get them, how much did they cost and did you use butyl tape to seat them ?
    Commander 5

Very nice ! send me that template so I can save some time please!! I've wanted to do this also every since I saw mikes job. Just makes sense.
    Commander 5

That is a beautiful area up there. I used to deerhunt outside of Florence Wisconsin along the Pine river and traveled home one summer I was up there north through the U.P. And then across the Mackinaw bridge down through Michigan to get home. all the salmon smokehouses along the top of the lake were cool and I saw the Canada border crossing station. Closest I've ever been to Canada.
    Commander 5

Hey Paul,
    Do you mean the template for the chain locker cover or the portlights? Pretty sure I still have the template for the the locker in cardboard and 1/8 luan. PM your address and I'll look into sending it to you. The portlight template is rented from Newfound Metals. Info on the portlights is here - http://www.newfoundmetals.com/portli...nless-standard

Yes, the chainlocker template.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Dawg View Post
    Hey Paul,
    Do you mean the template for the chain locker cover or the portlights? Pretty sure I still have the template for the the locker in cardboard and 1/8 luan. PM your address and I'll look into sending it to you. The portlight template is rented from Newfound Metals. Info on the portlights is here - http://www.newfoundmetals.com/portli...nless-standard
    You can send it COD If you like to:
    Paul Sproesser
    205 Locust street
    Frederick MD. 21703
    Commander 5

Oh so close! 1) touch up deck paint on rails, 2) reinstall handrails and deck organizers, 3) install rubrail 4) launch 5/29??

Name:  luckydawg.jpg
Views: 1076
Size:  78.8 KB

Looks like the Dawg is going to launch about the same time as Destiny. She is looking good! What rub rail are you going to use?
    JERRY CARPENTER - C147
    A man can succeed at almost anything for which he has unlimited enthusiam.

Same as you, I think - Eagle molding with the original rail and those Taco end caps. Boot stripe, bottom paint and buffed the snot out of her top sides yesterday. Tick tock!
    Last edited by Lucky Dawg; 06-04-2015 at 08:24 PM.

Spit shined and ready to splash. She has a date for 8AM Monday 6/8. Hard to see the rub rail in the picture, but I am very pleased with it. Lots of work, but it looks great. That is a challenging one-person job!

Here is the accomplished winter list: (BTW - Lucky Dawg took a beating over the last season with a storm breaking her dock lines one night - chaos ensuing.... Hence "damage" references below)

Install new, opening Newfound Metals windows
    Install Garboard Drain
    Fabricate Chain locker cover
    Refinish companionway, hatch boards
    Repair damaged topsides
    Repair damaged toe rail / deck paint
    Repair damaged aft chocks
    Refurbish stainless rub rail
    Install Eagle molding under stainless rub rail
    Reinstall cabin top grab rails
    Install Whale Urchin manual bilge pump
    Replace interior cushion fabric
    Upgrade to all-rope halyards
    Install mast plate, deck organizers, mast blocks, cam cleat
    Repair cockpit cushion wear
    Fabricate hatch board bag
    Reinstall fwd hatch gasket
    Replace tiller head bushing
    Repaint boot stripe / Bottom Paint
    Replace gas line
    New dock lines with leather chafe wraps and snubbers

As I have told scores of people: "If you don't enjoy this kind of work, don't buy a 50 year old boat!" Hard work, but lots of satisfaction!

I'll take some pictures Monday outside of the warehouse. Should be a better representation of the old girl.

Name:  spit.jpg
Views: 1047
Size:  118.9 KB
    Last edited by Lucky Dawg; 06-07-2015 at 06:57 PM.

Looking good Kyle!

Yes the rub rail is a challenging one person job. I tied sections of it up so they would hang approx. in place and installed from one end working to the other. But very time consuming and slow work. But in my opinion very much worth it.

Fix on and then sail on Kyle!
    JERRY CARPENTER - C147
    A man can succeed at almost anything for which he has unlimited enthusiam.

Enjoy all your hard work!
    Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)

I know there is nothing earth-shattering here, but I like these handy milk crate adaptations. Had some 1/8" luan ply and varnished the pieces to make shiny bottoms for these storage crates.

Name:  crates.jpg
Views: 924
Size:  194.6 KB

Lucky Dawg is back! A couple shots from today - launch this AM, and a nice sail this afternoon. Sunny day with steady 12kts on Muskegon Lake. A fat fog bank kept us there - Lake Michigan was pea soup thick in fog. Uber chilly water from our frigid-er than average winter + warm air = frequent fog banks....

Pix below: in the travelift, stepping the mast, secured in her slip.

Name:  unnamed.jpg
Views: 1011
Size:  175.2 KBName:  unnamed (1).jpg
Views: 982
Size:  167.9 KBName:  unnamed (4).jpg
Views: 1019
Size:  156.4 KB

+ Reply to Thread