+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast

Thread: Commander #65 "Lucky Dawg"

Hey Elliot,
    They are there to balance the boat on her lines. Check this thread: http://www.pearsonariel.org/discussi...vice-and-input

I wouldn't have noticed visually, but apparently Lucky Dawg used to squat aft a bit. What I did notice was that under sail, the lazarette was constantly awash with about 5 gallons of water and at rest, water pooled at the aft toe rails rather than flowing to / going down the scuppers. I experimented with adding more and more until finally I had 240 lbs of tube sand (about 20 bucks at Home Depot) in the forepeak. That eliminated both of those issues. Since they are used for winter pick-up truck traction (I presume) they are triple wrapped and less likely to spring a leak than construction sandbags. It doesn't happen often, but on occasion, Lucky Dawg can time waves so she wallops the water with her bow pretty joltingly. The sandbags are heavy, but snuggled in there very gently - if you can say that of 240lbs of mass. I would worry about the cinder blocks only because they have sharp corners - points of contact with the hull being more concentrated vs. over a long smooth sandbag line.

My thoughts exactly. I'm going to be removing those cinderblocks asap and replacing them with sandbags. I was in 6 foot waves last September in Lake Michgian. I didn't think about it at the time but my god, the though of those cinderblocks coming loose and jumping around scares the hell out of me now.

So my stainless rub rail got abused this past season when a bow line hopped out of a chock and my rub rail r u b b e d on metal dock parts to an ugly degree. Let's just say that the affixing screw heads were rubbed completely flat. Not quite done with the rehab yet, but these videos have been great for getting abused stainless back to a mirror finish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTxR8LB9iek part 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nc1iY08HU7w part 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWy9awGv6so part 3

These would roll out prettier in the summer sunshine, but... I'll take some interior next visit.

Name:  IMG_7151.JPG
Views: 2847
Size:  84.3 KB Name:  IMG_7150.JPG
Views: 2687
Size:  88.8 KB Name:  IMG_7152.JPG
Views: 2727
Size:  93.8 KB Name:  IMG_7153.JPG
Views: 2719
Size:  109.5 KB
    Last edited by Lucky Dawg; 01-30-2015 at 06:23 AM.

That looks GREAT!!!!!!!!!!

[QUOTE=Lucky Dawg;26987]These would roll out prettier in the summer sunshine, but... I'll take some interior next visit.

Kyle

Man you make me wish I had bit the bullet and put those in Destiny. That looks fabulous and no more leaks is only a minor plus when you consider how young that makes her look!!!! Your mistress has a whole new sexiness about her!
    JERRY CARPENTER - C147
    A man can succeed at almost anything for which he has unlimited enthusiam.

I agree with Jerry, they look fantastic!

Jobs that cause anxiety

Initial installation of garboard drain. The couple holes above the on-purpose hole were exploratory trying to ID the bottom of the bilge. A gallon or so of water seeped out from the lower hole after drilling the bottom hole. Followed directions from this site http://www.oocities.org/earlylight16...oardDrain.html which were spot on. Can't do the interior grounding part because of my enclosed bilge, but otherwise... followed that guidance. Couple trips to the warehouse to epoxy my exploratory holes and I can check that off the BIG list of projects I have underway.

Name:  G1.jpg
Views: 1148
Size:  114.5 KB Name:  G2.jpg
Views: 1187
Size:  141.1 KB Name:  G3.jpg
Views: 1124
Size:  120.9 KB Name:  G4.jpg
Views: 1146
Size:  135.1 KB

Empty bottom of bilge.

Lucky dog, your last post peaked my interest. I think I may have some water at the bottom of my kiel. I repaired a crack in the front of my kiel and some water seeped out. If there is water down there, it's sitting below the lead ballest, so my question is, how far down does the lead ballest go? How much space is between the bottom wall of the fiberglass kiel and the lead ballest?

Hey Elliott,
    There is a ton of discussion on the forum about the keel void. (better than the search option here, go to google/other and enter: site: pearsonariel.org "whatever you're looking for" (in quotes)) The manual also has some discussion on pp. 41-42. (Manual, by the way, is well worth your $35.) I'm not blowing you off, but it is better stated than I might several times over elsewhere on the forum! There may also be a diagram in the manual, but I haven't looked for it in a while.
    Water is pretty diligent and finds its way wherever it cares to. The void isn't in the front of the keel where you found seepage, but that doesn't surprise me that some worked its way up there. Here in MI where we're unfortunately 6 mo. on the hard, dry-out is an option. Not sure what the advised dry-out regimen might be where our yachts are 24/7/365 in the drink.
    KW

p.s. What's your Lake MI port?

Lake Charlevoix (Pine Lake) is my home port. Feel free to blow me off if need be, no insult taken. It's really hard to know what the long term effects of water on raw fiberglass would be. No matter what, water is going to find it's way down there so I suspect emptying the kiel does nothing more than reducing the exacerbation.

This brings me to another points. My boat is hull number 267 which I think means it's 50 years old this year. In another 50 years I'll be 79 If I live that long. I wonder if these boats will be sailing around a century after they were built. If that does come to pass and I'm long gone, who ever's reading this forum in 50 years, I'd be much obliged if you'd pore a drink over the bow while under sale in hull 267.

In another 50 I'll be a hundred (as will the Dawg) and I plan to be under sail!

Now you have me looking... http://www.pearsonariel.org/discussi...604-keel-voids

Pic Bill (A231) posted. Holes I drilled are just a smidge fwd and a bit below of the tip of the arrow indicating the keel void. I can't tell you exactly, but I'd guess the bottom of that void is about 5" above the bottom of the keel - solid fiberglass below. You can eyeball it - that fitting is 3 1/8" in diameter, and the bottom of the 1 1/2" hole I drilled is at the very bottom of the void...

Name:  ariel231.JPG
Views: 1048
Size:  27.7 KB

part: http://store.hamiltonmarine.com/brow...3-/4,2236.html (There is another very similar part that is twice the price... ?)

Northern lights

Can't believe I missed this last night. A photographer's picture from my home port of Muskegon, Mi. Unfortunately, no alarm sounds when they fire up.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1059
Size:  65.7 KB

Daily Aurora Borealis Forecast: http://www.softservenews.com

hatch board bag

I refinished my hatch boards and companionway brightwork. Commissioned a bag from my canvas lady. Came out nicely! Four pouches and fuzzy on the inside.

Name:  hatchboardbag2.jpg
Views: 1126
Size:  148.1 KB Name:  hatchboardbag1.jpg
Views: 1054
Size:  75.6 KB

+ Reply to Thread