+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast

Thread: Commander #65 "Lucky Dawg"

The Dawg makes the news!

Someone snapped this picture last Monday and we were in the Muskegon Chronicle yesterday 11/14

Name:  chroniclepicsmall.jpg
Views: 1992
Size:  165.7 KB

...and Mike - I got a really good storage deal. It was just $200 more to store inside - with access to do "clean" work anytime over the winter. Seemed like two Benjamins well spent. I'm very grateful!
    Last edited by Lucky Dawg; 11-18-2011 at 07:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Dawg View Post
    I'd love some detail pix on your chain locker cover. I've always admired it. And I've always been perplexed as to how to recreate it. So, no hurry, but sometime before 2012 launch!
    Kyle, I started a thread here... http://www.pearsonariel.org/discussi...4064#post24064
    Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)

This high tech approach to bowing a 4' piece of 3/8" mahogany about a half an inch isn't working. (It will cover my traveller install error.) 3 weeks or so on the rack, so to speak, achieved barely perceptible results. There is probably a better way. Maybe bowing it isn't even necessary. I just don't want it to curl up when only a portion of it is held down by the traveller base.

Name:  bow.JPG
Views: 3212
Size:  148.0 KB

screw-up covering bling!

It's gonna look nice! Took my traveler substrate by Lucky Dawg to verify fit and to make sure that my 2" #8-32 machine screw hardware order was correct. Going to be a nice new piece of aft-cockpit bling. The mahogany is mostly rectangular - has a slight flare at each end following the lines of the laz hatch, but it is subtle and I think it looks really nice. 4 or 5 more coats of Epifanes and we're good to go.

I got 20 yards of mulch spread, the house paint touch-ups done, the garden planted, and a couple rounds of weed and feed down on the lawn. Maybe it is time to sail now!!

I ordered the butyl tape for my leaky portlights from the (friendly, by the way) source that Mike recommended http://www.pearsonariel.org/discussi...4563#post24563. That should arrive by the weekend. Then I can splash anytime. Yippee!! Late May beats the pants off of a September launch (`a la 2011)
    Attached Images      
    Last edited by Lucky Dawg; 05-10-2012 at 10:15 AM.

wood bowing.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Dawg View Post
    This high tech approach to bowing a 4' piece of 3/8" mahogany about a half an inch isn't working. (It will cover my traveller install error.) 3 weeks or so on the rack, so to speak, achieved barely perceptible results. There is probably a better way. Maybe bowing it isn't even necessary. I just don't want it to curl up when only a portion of it is held down by the traveller base.

Attachment 8249
    Kyle, The pros use steam to bend planks then attach them hot and wet . I tried this for some
    thing else and if you use more weight and thouroughly soak the board before it will work or if you like I may be able to post some pics and dimensions of the factory piece the traveller mounts too because the center is about 3inches tall and each end is about 4 1/2 and you can just fill your goof holes
    Commander 5

http://www.sailinganarchy.com/fringe/2012/work.JPG
    Looks like the Dawg might have a little Competition at old Torresen Marina.
    Last edited by Commander227; 05-17-2012 at 04:39 AM.

yeah... to the extent that these two are in competition...

Name:  F22P51.jpg
Views: 1558
Size:  82.2 KB

I guess that a P51 comparison for Lucky Dawg is a bit of a stretch. Talisman is an impressive looking boat under sail.

and thanks Paul. I just went ahead and varnished it flat. The bend in the deck is only about 1/2" as you know, so I'm hoping that it'll sit flush once the traveler is attached. It may need a fastener at the forward edge... will play it by ear.

Talisman... I'm not sure I know that many people to go sailing with me, and I don't think single-handing her is an option.

Name:  talisman3_1.jpg
Views: 1473
Size:  40.0 KB

Name:  talisman5.jpg
Views: 1519
Size:  47.9 KB

Name:  talisman4.jpg
Views: 1461
Size:  62.1 KB

This is off the shore of Traverse City MI.
    Last edited by Lucky Dawg; 05-18-2012 at 07:22 PM.

It's been ass bitin' cold in MI. You can't quite walk to Wisconsin, but pretty close. The ice is over a foot thick at the end of the Grand Haven pier and it hasn't been this way for a long time. Apparently 12" of ice can hold a truck, so we felt pretty safe out there. A man and his dog were walking near us on the Grand River side (apparently you are never supposed to walk on a moving river even if significantly iced over) and they fell through - guy up to his waist. Cold 1/2 mile walk to shore!
    Attached Images        

Ice coverage as of today (from NOAA http://www.glerl.noaa.gov/res/glcfs/...m&type=N&hr=00)
    Attached Images  

My gawd Dawg, and I thought our winter was sucking hard... Love the doggy boots. I never could get mine to wear them.
    Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)

One more cool picture.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1291
Size:  59.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by mbd View Post
    Love the doggy boots. I never could get mine to wear them.
    Oliver seems to understand that odd-boots beat ice-marbles between his toes. Dawg Logic.

Water Winter Wonderland

Thanks for the pictures. They bring back memories of walking on the ice of Lake St. Clair with my family when I was a kid.

Great pictures. Thanks for sharing! Can't wait till spring.

Fritz. Commander #3

+ Reply to Thread