+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Commander #65 "Lucky Dawg"

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by mbd View Post
    Amazing how "buff" the your original hardware is!
    Thanks Mike, again, kudos go to PO - he had much of that chrome redone. I am realizing now what a significant investment that was. The only thing I'm "doing with (my) boat" so far is sailing!
    Last edited by Lucky Dawg; 08-16-2007 at 06:15 PM.

Fun, very windy day on the lake. Wind built to 17kt with 22kt gusts - overpowering us a smidge! Sooo… new experience of reefing the main whilst underway – a little hairy threading a line through the reef points what with frenetic flapping in the gusts. I know I can use hooks, but making due under the circumstances. I have to research here a better reefing setup – especially outhaul – not that I needed sail efficiency in the wind today, but the sail shape probably wouldn't pass muster…
    Attached Images  

...Reefing Underway

Hi Kyle...
    We have experienced some gusty winds this summer here in the Bay Area...and I have noticed that when I am underway and need to reef...I simply hove-to....everything mellows out...and it gives me all the time I need to put a reef in the Main...once the reef is in....I simply tack the jib over and continue on my way...My main is set up with Jiffy reefing and it has worked well...Just a thought...enjoy...

Adam
    ...Seremos Como El Che...

"Jiffy" or "slab" reefing is simple and a relatively easy system to operate. It can even be a "single line" set up (see Harken). Running the line(s) back to the cockpit make it very safe -- Starboard tack, lower the main, pull the reefing line(s), raise the main. Continue sailing. A Google search on jiffy or slab reefing will likely show you the setup.

ahh yes... heaving to would have made more sense. I apparently like to do things the hard way. My vast experience shows....

Heave ho!

How to heave-to?

I know it's here somewhere, but I'm curious how it's done, especially when you need to reef. Backwind the jib and tie the tiller off to windward, right?

Can you heave-to with both sails?

PS. Recently saw a picture of Che on the Monitor Windvane site...
    Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.
    I've found it varies with the wind, sea state and how big a jib.

You may need some drive from the main to get the bow closer to the wind--ease the main and/or tie the tiller to leeward

Thanks CP - I got over my laziness and hit the search and have been reading up on it. I just need to get out there and try it out, now. Not much season left though, haul out is scheduled for October 11.
    Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)

Silly question at this late date, but can someone tell me the function of the woodwork just to port of the sink in my post #9 http://pearsonariel.org/discussion/s...93&postcount=9? It would be nice if the forward section held the hatch boards, but it's too narrow. I wondered if the taller aft section is for my fire extinguisher - which is attached to the bulkhead. I thought a function would eventually present itself, but not as of yet.

Had some photos of Lucky Dawg taken yesterday afternoon. I had been carrying around a disposable camera for several weeks waiting for an opportune moment to get someone to take some pictures. This guy and his dog were motoring by in a Boston Whaler just as I was hoisting my sails. Flagged him down and as I went to hand him my crappy camera, he whipped out a monster professional camera with a foot-long lens. Said he had just come out to take pictures. I must be living right.

I know she is a pretty girl, but I've never seen her from this perspective.
    Attached Images        
    Last edited by Lucky Dawg; 10-05-2007 at 11:23 AM.

+ Reply to Thread