+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Commander #65 "Lucky Dawg"

Hybrid View

I never tire of these views. You might...
    - A nice starboard tack. Steady wind at 12kts on Friday afternoon for a beautiful sail.
    - burgees in place on my flag halyard. You should feel touched that my UGA burgee is flying below my A/C assn. burgee.
    - Found a guy www.sirchromealot.com that will repair and chrome my emblems for $150. May take him up on it in the fall - the list of fall projects is growing, of course. In the mean time... Looks a little cramped where it fit so I may have to move the cleats back a couple inches.
    - When I had my UGA burgee made, I had offered that the UGA sailing club could purchase some at the discounted price multiple burgees would offer. They are broke college students and weren't interested in bulk purchases, so I ended up just sending them one for their office. They sent me a club tshirt with the great Sailing Dawg image on the back.
    Attached Images        

Kyle,
    That shot (52) of the portside coaming winches is interesting for non-romantical reasons too! The featured winch base is real interesting because it looks like it's welded aluminum. It looks simple and straight-forward. It seems like it's a great way out of the winch island dilemma - in weight for sure.
    (bulb lites up..)
    Looking at it and thinking of how some skippers want to sit on the coaming (maybe more of an Ariel thing)...
    why not make a coaming-out extension exactly the same way for sitting on???
    Make a longer 'coaming seat' that the winch could share?
    Help support the poor coaming.
    Design it the same way, slightly lower, to have a key for the posterior.

Great shot!

Hummm, I never seem to have the urge to sit on the coaming. My bony arse my be part of that aversion. We Commander captains also have a smidge more cockpit space though, eh? I'll take some pix of those winch bases. Frankly, I'd trade lightweight aluminum for the sumptuous wooden winch bases on A-350 any day. http://pearsonariel.org/discussion/s...terior+Varnish (see post #45)
    Last edited by Lucky Dawg; 08-12-2007 at 07:12 PM.

Was able to sail Friday Sunday and Monday this weekend. Sweet! Yesterday was stunning - NNW wind at 12-14, comfortable 2 foot rollers on Lake MI. A hint of cooler temps in the air remind me that the sailing season here is shorter than I'd like. Avg temps drop 10 degrees a month from July to December.
    Winch base pictures. Primary winches don't match, but it doesn't disturb the aesthetic much for me...
    Attached Images          

Keep 'em coming Kyle! For my part, pictures really help to get the ideas for hardware placement and aesthetics rolling. I love seeing what others are doing on their boats. Amazing how "buff" the your original hardware is!
    Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)

Kyle, Thanks for the shots at #55 of the winch brackets.
    Have a real liking for the shopmade welded over the cast. Tho the cast IS special!
    It's the openness.

Easy to see that the 'leg' could be tilted in more for more deck room. Foot room. Just an observation. We've seen wood and bronze winch brackets that triangulate on the coamings alone, with nothing down on the deck. But this way they contribute alot of support to the coaming. Double duty.

Have recently played around with 6061T6 (considered marine) aluminum from OnlineMetals. Haven't compared prices. You get just the quanity you want from them. I'll never trust myself to stack-of-dimes welding but making models from ideas can do til next Wednesday. The hard material can be cut with a jigsaw and Bosch blades. Even scrolled shapes out of a (expensive) piece of 6"ID pipe, 5/16"wall was pretty easy, smoothed up with angle grinder and coarse flap wheel, metal file and sand paper. It's really just HARD wood! Took my piece to the professionals to stick it together.
    I can 'see' those two sheet winches on a side on one extended bracket with the width the winches need left for the jammers and the incidental bummer.

Thanks for sharing the idea....!
    May have seendalite and come up with something for LittleGull.
    Last edited by ebb; 08-14-2007 at 10:10 AM.

Kyle, I spotted the track on the toe rail could you tell me what kind of backup is on the inside that's how mine are but there is no backup the machine screws 1/4x20 are just tapped into epoxy when I drilled threw they are so close to the hull I can hardly get a washer on the bolt Ebb, I would like to see a picture of your pipe winch stand

Quote Originally Posted by mbd View Post
    Amazing how "buff" the your original hardware is!
    Thanks Mike, again, kudos go to PO - he had much of that chrome redone. I am realizing now what a significant investment that was. The only thing I'm "doing with (my) boat" so far is sailing!
    Last edited by Lucky Dawg; 08-16-2007 at 06:15 PM.

Fun, very windy day on the lake. Wind built to 17kt with 22kt gusts - overpowering us a smidge! Sooo… new experience of reefing the main whilst underway – a little hairy threading a line through the reef points what with frenetic flapping in the gusts. I know I can use hooks, but making due under the circumstances. I have to research here a better reefing setup – especially outhaul – not that I needed sail efficiency in the wind today, but the sail shape probably wouldn't pass muster…
    Attached Images  

+ Reply to Thread