+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Commander #65 "Lucky Dawg"

Hybrid View

Another beautiful sail today. The reason I can live in Michigan (I'm from Atlanta) is the beautiful summers. Did 6 kts with my "reacher" (as the bag is marked) very light weight genoa.

Nice wing on wing before the wind came up.
    Attached Images  

hull speed, schmull speed...

12-15kts blowing and we defied her theoretical hull speed. (know it's been done before by all of you, but not yet by me)

Our return to port is dictated by nap time, so after a couple of hours, we were done. That's what all old salty captains over the ages have done, no? Children's dramamine kept my daughter from barfing this time at least. That is a nice improvement on the sailing experience for all.

Inclinometer doesn't work, but she heels nonetheless. (Ritchie said that it would be about $50 bucks and a couple weeks to put the gimball back on its pivot point.)

Anyone know what (if any) is her optimum heel for greatest hull speed? I know that 0* is the optimum heel in my lovely wife's opinion.
    Attached Images    

Kyle

I haven't spent a lot of time measuring the optimal angle of heel for the Ariel but A-231 is pretty happy at 15-20 degrees...

I have a similar compass (mine's a danforth saturn). I've not seen this failure mode with my current model, but you might be able to shake the lubber lines back on the pivot if you take it out of the bulkhead... It worked for me with a previous compass.

Good luck,
    Bill

p.s. ritchie has the service manual on-line for your compass if you feel like taking it apart!

http://www.ritchienavigation.com/doc.../Navigator.pdf
    Last edited by bill@ariel231; 07-07-2007 at 06:50 AM. Reason: added link to service manual

Thanks Bill. Will give shaking the compass a little a whirl before I send it to be serviced.
    I was wondering on the heel because I know (though I can't remember what it was) that my MC Scow and my old Laser had optimal angles to get the right wetted surface in the water, and too much heel was counterproductive for speed. Yesterday we were heeling like crazy at 6.1 kts. Tonight on our pizza and cocktail cruise in about 7-10kts of wind we were doing 5.5 with almost none... Just learning the moods of this beautiful boat. A nice pursuit, I'd say.

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.
    Agree with Bill--15-20 degrees gives you a longer waterline

If shaking the compass doesn't work, you can buy a seperate inclinometer. A cheap plastic one or something more fancy

http://www.brasscompass.com/inclinometer.htm

beer bottle in a cup holder?

That oughta do just fine, Ebb.

Splashed around on Lake Michigan today for several hours. 10-15kts 2-3' seas. Fun ride. Tried out my new jib downhaul - worked like a charm and a great day to stay off the bouncy foredeck if not necessary. A couple pix below.

Despite the corkscrew motion of the boat, note my obviously stressed out crew.
    Attached Images      
    Last edited by Lucky Dawg; 02-14-2017 at 07:53 PM. Reason: dead link!

+ Reply to Thread