Thread: Commander #65 "Lucky Dawg"

Threaded View

Hey Tony. Thanks. The ol' Commander cockpit is what drew me to the boat in the first place. Lucky Dawg's setup is really nice. There's the 45+ year old, meticulously constructed teak grate, and the clean white cushions the PO had made... but the 1/4 x 2" strips of mahogany that dress up the seats, I think, are the pièce de résistance. They're just screwed into the fore and aft 3rd's of the bench. For the center section, they're bolted through with short bolts that have to be ground down along with the nuts to a small degree to pass smoothly over the lip of the locker. Just a little detail, but they really pop.

Re my screw up, I agree. The traveller bling came to me fairly quickly as I realized my error - "Oh crap!!... Well, just add a strip of mahogany there and we're all good." Wouldn't have been a solution anywhere else on the boat, but an easy fix there. Someone here, can't remember who, put a similar accent there. It was bowed from the underside, so flat on top. I just plan to slightly bend the board to follow the line from one side to the other. It's about a 3/4" (?) arc over that 4' section.

Anyone know who sells honduran mahogany piecemeal? I still want to make the chain locker cover (below) I apologize that I can't remember whose handiwork that is, but I have it saved on my computer because it rocks. With that and a couple other projects, I could probably put a half a sheet of 1/2" to good use, but don't know what I would do with the other half... Maybe I should buy a full sheet of 1/4" and laminate...

And, yes Tony, I am blessed with two kids who love to sail. Totally aware that this could be time limited. Yesterday, just checking the enjoyment-barometer with Sadie and her friend - 'Y'all still good? How much longer do you want to sail?" Sadie - "A little longer - maybe two hours or so, OK?"

Name:  ChainLocker-01.JPG
Views: 1315
Size:  39.7 KB

p.s. I played around in Photoshop with the Commander logo/ensignia here rather than this design, but I couldn't produce anything that I liked better than this little anchor. Not sure if the raised panel is constructed like the outboard cover to lift on and off similarly to facilitate access? If you recall whose boat this comes from, please advise.
    Last edited by Lucky Dawg; 09-14-2011 at 08:37 PM.