Thread: Commander #65 "Lucky Dawg"

Threaded View

Jack,
    The estate here acquired a battery-powered game camera. It's a Pelican case that has been altered to hold a digital camera, an infra red light, and a motion detector. Like rafting boxes and survival, law enforcement cases it's made from bulletproof polypropylene. Very nicely molded, thoughtfully designed. It's weatherproof I'd guess, as the box contains sensitive electronics, but it's not really designed for in water use.

There are some camera cases that will go to some depths - don't know which ones they are - most of these Fuerte and Hardigg cases are only good for three feet immersion. I mean as I understand it.

For a camera you could lower I might start first models with PVC pipe that could be screwed together just to see what came up. Lens, gaskets, machining... Don't know how you'd control the camera on an anchor rode and/or chain. You'd need self contained light for sure, you'd need weight to get it down, you'd need a non-focus digital camera that had excellent detail. The game camera has a 100ft useful range with a 40degree angle of field. How you make something that you want to take apart simply waterproof at 50 feet say is the challenge.

Another approach would be to use the anchor's retrieval line/buoy to lower the camera rather than the rode. A straight down looksee might be easier to acheive than a side view..

Anyway there is a lot of expertise available for inspiration. It would be nice just to see if something would work, then perfect it, then see whose patent you're infringing.

If it was just a cool jig that could assembled by anyone, that would be even better.
    [One tube is your light
    Another tube holds the camera
    This tube has lead in it.
    Bundle them up with some hose clamps
    and toss it in the drink.}
    Last edited by ebb; 10-25-2007 at 07:19 PM.