+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Commander #65 "Lucky Dawg"

Hybrid View

Still waiting on the yard's crane to help step my mast... "Oughta be today" - have heard that several times now.

Lucky Dawg came with a load of sails! I have some experimenting to do. A main with one reef point, a "storm main" (that doesn't seem much smaller, but is beefy as all get-out.) A working jib, a storm jib, 4 genoas of various (but quite similar) sizes, and 2 spinnakers. The surveyor rated them as a group as "painter's tarps" which might be a little bit of an exaggeration, but that may remain to be seen.

All of my sails are boldly marked with "6091." Not sure what that particular number is in reference to, but every sail has it blazin' across. I'm thinking that white paint over those numbers and "65" placed there instead probably would look tacky...

My newbie-ness abounds, but I must admit that I don't know how to fly my spinnaker yet. I mean, I understand it in theory, but having never attempted, well... KW has lots o' learnin' to do.
    Attached Images          

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Dawg View Post
    All of my sails are boldly marked with "6091." Not sure what that particular number is in reference to, but every sail has it blazin' across.
    Often, a number such as that is an "off shore" racing registration number. Yours is pretty early as the more recent ones are up to six digits, maybe more.

Thar she blows!!

Applied my new boat lettering today. Just used a buffer and rubbing compound to take the old name off (With all due respect, "Someday" was a little wistful for my tastes)

Will attend to the rituals of renaming* upon launch tomorrow at 3PM!! WAAAAAHHHHHHOOOOOOO!!!

(* Some personalized combination of http://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/rename.htm and http://www.48north.com/mr_offline/denaming.htm)
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by Lucky Dawg; 06-05-2007 at 06:29 PM.

Your unidentified bilge fitting in post #25 looks like a thru hull for a old datamarine speed sensor. If it unthreads from the inside to expose a cylindrical plug sealed by o-rings, there's a good chance that's what it was....(better to check before you launch rather than after)

good luck on the launch hope all goes well.
    Last edited by bill@ariel231; 06-05-2007 at 04:01 PM.

Thanks Bill. There is, in fact, a sensor on the outside of the hull in close proximity to this bilge fitting - I hadn't connected the two in my brain. It appears sealed up and the PO didn't ever have a speed sensor running. It had several coats of VC17 covering the window/transducer. I checked the DMI website and making it again operational looks pretty pricey. http://www.dmimarine.com/parts/index.html. My GPS will do the speed sensing for now.
    On another speed note, my 8hp Yamaha cranked on the second pull. Whew.
    I've been very pleased with Torresen's Marine. As you might imagine from my posts, I have LOTS of questions. They have been super friendly and happy to take a gander at anything I have asked. I am a sucker for good customer service and they've been a pleasure.
    First family sail on Friday. Have a lasso, er, teather... and life jacket for my daughter. Getting a 3 year old to wear it without squallerin' is the challenge. (Not getting her to so much as listening to the protestations should she begrudge it!)
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by Lucky Dawg; 06-05-2007 at 06:31 PM.

Issues to deal with this summer. cracking in the paint (I presume only the paint layer.) Is isolated to where water has stood at the toe rails.
    Attached Images    

one more... spit-shined and ready to splash.
    Attached Images  

+ Reply to Thread