+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Commander #65 "Lucky Dawg"

Hybrid View

I needed to bow the 3/8" mahogany plank that goes beneath my traveler. The bow above the lazarette bulkhead is pretty minimal, but I didn't successfully bow it when I created it and the athwartship ends of the piece lifted up a bit off the deck.

So, I successfully used this method - https://youtu.be/--iPQIwSEJM*- making a steam bag out of tarp material and duct tape coupled to a home/laundry steamer.

Because of COVID, the storage shed at my boat yard is closed, so I couldn't get the exact radius off of the top of the bulkhead. By my guess-timation, the radius on the trim piece above our fireplace seemed about right.

Name:  radius.jpg
Views: 1642
Size:  30.3 KB

Made a box out of 3/8" plywood and 2x4 scrap to match that radius.

Name:  form.jpg
Views: 1687
Size:  94.9 KB

Steamed it for about an hour clamped to my form. Let it cool in place. It got plenty hot with the laundry steamer.

Name:  bag.jpg
Views: 1714
Size:  63.4 KB

Finished product!

Name:  completedbend.jpg
Views: 1609
Size:  64.8 KB

This is a good video on building an actual steam box https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMvc2tuVGcQ* Just didn't seem worth the trouble for potentially the only time I will find myself steam-bending wood.

Splashed a couple weeks ago. A couple pix of rehabbed brightwork, etc. New sail and tiller covers

Name:  cockpitrevival.jpg
Views: 1607
Size:  93.7 KB

Name:  newsailcover.jpg
Views: 1759
Size:  81.9 KB

Name:  crew062220.jpg
Views: 1464
Size:  59.0 KB

Name:  dogonthehard.jpg
Views: 1598
Size:  85.4 KB