+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Commander #65 "Lucky Dawg"

Hybrid View

Seeing those beautiful white sand beaches brings me back to my childhood.
    My Dad grew up in Lansing, then Grand Rapids (Grandpa was a Tool & Die Maker for Oldsmobile)
    Every summer Mom, Dad and all six of us kids would pile into the 1962 Dodge Travco motorhome, cross Wisconsin, drive onto the ferry in Milwaukee and visit Grandma & Grandpa in Grand Rapids. Then we would hit some camp ground around Holland, Ludington State Park, Sleeping Bear State Park. Then across the Mackinaw bridge (of course stopping for some world famous Murdick's Fudge) and home via the U.P.
    I have not been back since my grand parents died when I was about twelve. I always meant to bring my boys but never did. (que up "THE CATS IN THE CRADLE")
    I have great memories of the long climb up Sleeping Bear sand dune and running down, each stride covering about 20' because it was so steep and swimming in that super clear and super cold water.
    Mom still puts Murdick's Fudge in my Christmas stocking every year. I need to retrace those trips some day. One more item for the bucket list.
    Mike
    C227

Thanks for that memory Mike. Sounds like the images are still vivid in your mind.

Funny, the Milwaukee Clipper - the ferry you took across the lake for those trips - is permanently moored 1 mile ENE of Torresen's and Lucky Dawg http://www.milwaukeeclipper.com/ - now the Lake Express Ferry has taken her place for transport, but you can still tour the Clipper. Search GoogleEarth for "43 13 18.58 N 86 17 45.31 W".

Sounds like a trip to put on the docket for you and your grown boys. A sail on the Dawg is of course a standing offer to add to the trip. I can suggest some good craft breweries between here and GR as well!

...and, had to look up your travel accomodations

Name:  Travco-frank-2nd-brochure-1_1962.jpg
Views: 1261
Size:  27.0 KB

See: http://www.curbsideclassic.com/curbs...ame-and-genre/
    Last edited by Lucky Dawg; 10-27-2011 at 07:45 PM.

That is a beautiful area up there. I used to deerhunt outside of Florence Wisconsin along the Pine river and traveled home one summer I was up there north through the U.P. And then across the Mackinaw bridge down through Michigan to get home. all the salmon smokehouses along the top of the lake were cool and I saw the Canada border crossing station. Closest I've ever been to Canada.
    Commander 5

Hey Paul,
    Do you mean the template for the chain locker cover or the portlights? Pretty sure I still have the template for the the locker in cardboard and 1/8 luan. PM your address and I'll look into sending it to you. The portlight template is rented from Newfound Metals. Info on the portlights is here - http://www.newfoundmetals.com/portli...nless-standard

Yes, the chainlocker template.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Dawg View Post
    Hey Paul,
    Do you mean the template for the chain locker cover or the portlights? Pretty sure I still have the template for the the locker in cardboard and 1/8 luan. PM your address and I'll look into sending it to you. The portlight template is rented from Newfound Metals. Info on the portlights is here - http://www.newfoundmetals.com/portli...nless-standard
    You can send it COD If you like to:
    Paul Sproesser
    205 Locust street
    Frederick MD. 21703
    Commander 5

+ Reply to Thread