+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast

Thread: Commander #65 "Lucky Dawg"

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.

F.S.: Commander in WI with trailer

1964,Always freshwater, inside storage.Entire boat painted by professional. Refinished Mahogany.New interior and exterior cushions. Yamaha 8 HP with low hours. Perfect day cruiser/overnighter/racer, huge cockpit. 2 spinnakers, Jib, 2 Genoas,2 Mains, Storm Jib. depthmeter, Compass, head. Cradle on trailer. Beautiful boat. Must sell, another child on the way.

http://www.usedboats.com/index.php?s...historyback=11

commandertobe Guest
    Owner accepted my offer on this boat - pending a survey. Considering the mess that the Ohio Commander was in, the survey is a necessary $$ evil. While looking for a good surveyor, by accident/serendipity I talked with the previous owner who is the service manager for a marina in Sister Bay. Also spoke with the Vice Commader of the local sailing club - everyone seems to know the boat and they speak well of it and the work the current owner has done.
    Will keep you posted.

Kyle

(I guess I would have to change my screen name )
    Last edited by commandertobe; 04-09-2007 at 10:34 AM.

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.
    Nice looking boat.

Getting the trailer roadworthy and registered might be a bit of a project.

http://www.usedboats.com/media/images/955711_9.jpeg

commandertobe Guest
    Yeah, that trailer doesn't look like Tony G's, does it? It does have two axles. I initially thought it was one, but the second is hiding in the weeds. Surveyor is assessing the trailer as well. I have ready access to a steel fabricator, so it just has to make the trip once and I can upgrade or scavenge.

Green Bay to Grand Haven is a good 400 miles by road or, more invitingly, sailing up Green Bay, slipping through the Sturgeon Bay Ship Canal through the Door County peninsula, and a long southeasterly traverse of Lake Michigan, is a nice little 179 mile shakedown cruise. The winds are predictably favorable (the direction anyway) for the trip, but the less predictable seas could be more than I've experienced. I am a pretty handy small craft sailor, but that is a trip I would need assistance sailing safely. I'll troll for any takers provided this sale moves forward.

Crossing my fingers,
    Kyle
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by commandertobe; 04-10-2007 at 12:37 PM.

commandertobe Guest
    Survey was good: "You could eat out of the bilge... professional work... he clearly respected this boat... surprisingly good condition... nice job on the varnish work... slight moisture elevation at one chainplate... 91 yamaha runs like a top..." Two problems are old sails and he valued the trailer as scrap metal. Neither will inhibit this sale - I figure nothing's perfect with a 43 year old boat (nothing's quite perfect on my 43 year old bones either.) Sounds like I'll be sailing her home rather than driving. I will finalize things today and reintroduce her to you ASAP!

Commander #65 "Lucky Dawg"

Happy to introduce our new Commander, Hull #65!

Several years ago, I sailed with a friend's family out of Northport, NY on their beautiful Ensign and soon after discovered the Commander - I was hooked.

I've sailed since I was a teenager and I have owned small boats in the past, (I have an MC Scow listed on TrailerSailer.com) but this is my first "real" boat and I'm thrilled. I have been a boatless lurker here for a long time (commandertobe) and I appreciate the knowledge I've absorbed learning about your boats. I bought a manual a year or so ago... After it arrived, my wife Amy "Uh, why are you reading the manual for a boat you don't own?"

The surveyor used words like “immaculate” and “lovely,” & “you could eat out of the bilge” and said that the owner “clearly respected her history in the work he did on her.” These are not phrases I expected from the righteously ornery old salt who surveyed her, but he was clearly impressed.

Our options were pulling her trailer for 400 miles from Green Bay through Chicago and around the lake to Grand Haven, sailing her for the first time across springtime Lake Michigan for 179 miles… which of course could be smooth or YIKES, or at the sellers great suggestion, using the SS Badger (http://www.ssbadger.com/content.aspx?Page=Video – try not to dance when you hear the rockin’ theme song) to ferry her across and tow her a short distance to her new home and set-up here. The last one wins. Though it might rouse hisses from the peanut gallery, the sailing option – though enticing – was a daunting shakedown.
    The first weekend the Badger sails is 5/12, so we are coordinating the sale on that weekend.

She'll reside 15 minutes from home at Torresen Marine on Muskegon Lake - a nice option to home in Spring Lake, MI. Muskegon Lake offers a large inland lake to sail if the big lake is too rough.

She will be rechristened (with all appropriate diligence to appease the Gods) “Lucky Dawg”

Speaking of, any ideas on how to cleanse her of any bad luck related to her green paint job? Maybe I can create my own apologetic ritual. I might need to know the thinking behind the bad luck of a green boat to take the right steps.

Pictures below are from the ad, many more to follow. Hurry up 5/12!

Excited to be aboard!

p.s. MC Scow listed at http://www.sailboatowners.com/classi...bd=trailerable (SOLD)
    Last edited by Lucky Dawg; 09-07-2007 at 09:18 AM. Reason: sold mc scow 7/15/07

a couple glamour shots...
    Attached Images      

a couple more...
    Attached Images      

and last...
    Attached Images    

Thumbs up

Pretty...looks like a 'much loved' boat

Good move to buy a beauty like that and just go sailing! Congrats!
    Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)

Lucky Dawg is home safe and sound

Trip home on the trailer was uneventful. Some fresh pix below. I have a zillion more. Year old interior cushions. The door has solid boards too, but I like this vented one for show. Note the SS Badger in the background of the picture on the trailer. Trip across on the Badger was windy and cold, but a fantastic alternative to hauling that trialer for 400 miles. PO gave me a pickup load full of supplies as he is getting out of sailing altogether.
    Attached Images          

one more set of pix

All of the deck hardware has been rechromed. The shadow picture - probably should have been watching the road, but it was a cool view. Newly fabricated tiller head and oak tiller.
    A couple minor improvements over the weekend - installed my windex and cleaned and oiled the teak cockpit sole. Amazing what a little cleaner and teak oil will do. Immediate gratification! Probably should have saved that one for a reward for something more arduous, but I'll take 'em when I can get 'em.
    My 3 year old daughter Sadie has claimed the v-berth as her own playroom and my wife Amy enrolled in a sailing class that starts next week. We have sailed together a good bit before - with her as a happy, but fairly passive crew member. She is wanting to feel more informed and competent. Good to have engaged crew!
    Mast to be stepped this week. There are a couple cosmetic blemishes and a pending blister question, but hopeful to launch by Memorial Day weekend.
    Attached Images          

With a knickknack paddy whack, give a dawg a bone...ole 65 came rolling home!

U LUCKY DAWG U !

She'll have a tail waggin bone in her teeth afore long!

Thanks Ebb. Paging through your refit of A-338, I feel like a cheat - or gloating - with this girl. Hope I deserve her. Plan to do her proud. I couldn't do what you've done (well... maybe... eventually... only if it was my full-time avocation)
    I love to sail, and I love this boat and have for a long time. But, your skills and those of our peers here put my present ones to shame.
    I am humbled - seriously.

+ Reply to Thread