Quote Originally Posted by mbd View Post
Ditto that Tim! But, at least you didn't suffer a catastrophic failure or anything.
Very true and that is why I'm bummed but not not distraught. The boat sailed beautifully and everything worked as planned except for the rudder.

Quote Originally Posted by mbd View Post
Especially surprising since you ground it all down and had a close look at it!
Tell me about it. It was damp when I removed the laminate and if it were damp for ten years or more under the laminate creating an anaerobic environment in which dry rot occurs then it is logical that the mahogany would have lost some strength. It did look fine and solid, but it would have only taken a relatively small area to be compromised in just the right spot to create the situation that was created. I hope to fashion some sort of temporary repair so that I can do some more sailing. I knew putting the boat in this year after its long slumber would be a crapshoot and knew the potential of fighting such demons. I envisioned an annoying leak, or some rigging issues where something would need to be replaced, maybe even some electric poltergeists, but the rudder I didn't tink would be a problem especially after what it looked like. Oh well, 45 years of life with 35 years of service it did its job and I suppose doesn't owe anyone anything. The good news is that the epoxy-work I did on the rudder shoe and strap area has created a waterproof situation and after removing the shoe this fall it should be a staright forward repair.

Remember the good old days...