Thread: Ariel #24

Threaded View

The layup begins...

Well, after a week of neverending precipitation and temps too low to epoxy, it looks as though mother nature is taking pity on me. Last night I layed up the initial layers on my porch that will be flexed into place behind the hull and be adhered using thickened epoxy. This will allow me to have a solid flush layer to begin laminating against while maintaining the inch or so gap between the lead and the hull.

This is the laminate after it cured overnight. It shows the half inch overlap. This piece will be flexed and placed in the space between the hull and lead ballast and then adhered to the backside of the hull with thickened epoxy. Doing this increases the number of epoxy saturated layers that adhere to the chamfered polyester resin. This will make a more seamless repair flush on the front and backside. It also creates a flat and secure surface to work against making the job easier. Once the epoxy cures I will start the layup. Could be later today, could be tomorrow depending when it is solid enough to work against.

Last edited by Tim Mertinooke; 04-19-2007 at 07:14 AM.