+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Commander #155 'Mephisto Cat'

Hybrid View

Hey Rico,
    You mentioned somewhere having powdercoated your portlights. Curious why and what the benefits are of doing so. Looking at the pictures I could find of them, it looks like you must have powdercoated them to something close to their original color. Mine are in good shape, but not chromed. A friend owns a powdercoating firm and so I have ready access.
    Thanks!

Agua:
    Do rat terriers get to be 100 lbs?
    I was told by the people at the humane society (where my pooch came from as a 3 mo puppy we were to foster - temporarily...) and also by my uncle (who is a vet) that the pooch is some sort of German Shepherd / Labrador mix. She is quite big! She loves water & is very playful & also does have some shepherd behaviours.

Kyle:
    No powder coating for my frames... (I do recall someone on the board going that route...) I just primed & painted C-155's frames - and they are holding-up quite nicely. And yes, they are painted in an aluminum color...
    If you can get it doe cheaply - I do not see why powdercoating would not work well. - unless the coating is not impervious to moisture... (??)
    Last edited by Rico; 07-26-2011 at 12:34 PM.

powder coated aluminum frames

Rico,
    Maybe I'm the guy?
    I had all aluminum frames powdercoated in a 'bronze color' - including the little ones

Used 'lab metal' to fill most of the damage: rage holes drilled in crooked from outside, corrosion, broken screws, old fastening holes and so forth.
    You'll remember these unique frames are all the same except the minature screws made the windows "handed" because the fastening, the clamping of each pair, was done from inside with tiny machine screws.

I drilled each dedicated pair of frames thru and chamfered the holes outside. However I decided against using the set because I didn't feel that this method of installing a floating lens was ultimately strong enough. Big loose lens, fragile aluminum frames. Not for ocean voyaging or the MORC.
    Also, after the powder coating was done I realized I had not put in enough fastenings (9), nor positioned them very well around the frame. Did like the fact the holes were slightly oversized so that the powder coating became the insulation for the stainless machine bolts. And was unwilling to drill in any more holes. After deciding to go with slab-on carbonate lenses, these nice and professionally coated (Miller Powder Coating, Santa Rosa) frames are consigned to limbo.

The cute little aluminum opening ports came out really nice and are small enough imco to use on an offshore boat. Famous last words.
    Last edited by ebb; 08-11-2011 at 01:20 PM.

Thanks SkipperJer,

The track is a 1" Schaefer 'racing' track (the 'racing' model has more notches for sheet car adjustment) that the standard one. It has worked beautifully so far. I use the twin sheet cars on the track.

I suspect that your sailmaker is about right on the location... I have a 90-100% jib and then a BIG genoa. I do not have any sails in the 125% range. I would appreciate some pictures to see where your sheet cars ends-up with a properly trimmed 125%.

Feel free to shoot me an e-mail if you need further details...

My 100% works well sheeted to the tracks on the cabin top. It's an old style high-cut jib that looks just like the one on the cover of old Commander brochure. When I got the boat in 2002 it had the 100 and a 170% that worked well on the toe-rail track aft of the winches. The problem was that I often found myself in the situation where I had one sail too big and one too little. Worst case was when the wind blew up after I had launched the 170 when sailing single-handed. The boat became quite a handful rather quickly if I got caught out near the lee shore. Did I mention I'm a rookie who did that a few too many times before I learned not to ever fly the big sail by myself? There were a few times when that boat proved it was tougher than I was by getting us through that.

I finally got a used 150 that works OK but is sheeted too far back when fastened to the old track. I can never close the top of the sail. The old 170 was pretty beat so I had it cut down to 150 and I use it downwind as a second headsail. Keeps me from getting caught out with too much dacron flying too.

I think of this boat as an vintage car with crank windows, stick shift, and no AC. I've learned to not try and make too many "improvements". With that in mind I think the best solution for me may be to simply extend the toe-rail track forward 3-4 feet and sacrifice a little in-board angle in order to keep the decks clear. The Commander decks are skinnier than the Ariel's. Your track tucked in close to the cabin trunk addresses that well but I need something to go further aft. My 125 would need track mounted just forward of the winch base overlapping the ends of the coamings and would take up what is now a narrow but clear section of side deck. Rig-Rite has the same flat track and fittings as the original track. I think this is going to be a winter project. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks for the response.

2011 Sailing...

Here are a few snaps taken during outings in 2011. It was a good year...
    I did a few offshore races (on other boats) in addition to the races I do on the Mephisto Cat...

The 2012 edition of the 3 Bridge Fiasco just happened. It was another good one. They always are, although some can be very frustrating. -I won't spoil it here, but I'll have the race recap write-up shortly on that thread. I'll put a link here when it is done.

Picture 1.- The Commemorative plaque at Angel Island. We go there often as it is one of my favourite destinations in the Bay. There is a lot of history there...

'European ships had sailed up and down the California coast for more than 200 years without sighting the fog-shrouded entrance to San Francisco Bay. The first ship ever to enter the San Francisco Bay was the San Carlos, a Spanish packet-boat under the command of captain Juan de Ayala. The San Carlos reached the entrance to the San Francisco Bay on August 5th 1775, but the strong current pushed it back out to sea. Eventually, the boat slipped through the Golden Gate guided by the dim light of a half moon at 10:30 pm.

The San Carlos dropped anchor behind an island which was christened 'Isla Santa Maria de Los Angeles' (Spanish for 'Saint Mary of the of the Angels'); It is now known as 'Angel Island'. Over the next forty-four days, ship pilots set out in longboats to chart the various arms of the Bay.'

Picture 2.- One of the personalities inhabiting SF Bay; the USS Potomac (AG-25), formerly the USCGC Electra,[3] was Franklin Delano Roosevelt’s presidential yacht from 1936 until his death in 1945. It is one of only three still existing presidential yachts. On August 3, 1941, she played a decoy role while Roosevelt held a secret conference to develop the Atlantic Charter.

In January 1964 she was purchased by Elvis Presley for US$55,000. He gave it to St. Jude Children's Hospital which sold it that same year for US$ 75,000. By 1980, she was involved in drug smuggling and was seized by the United States Customs Service in San Francisco, then towed to Treasure Island, where she sank.

After being refloated by the U.S. Navy just two weeks later, the Potomac was sold to the Port of Oakland for $15,000 and underwent a major restoration. She is now preserved by the Potomac Association, and berthed at Jack London Square in Oakland

Picture 3.- A (fast) 'mini' waiting for a race start off Crissy field for the Half Moon Bay Race

Picture 4.- Racing out to the so called 'Lightbucket'; the former location of the old lightship that used to mark the approaches to the main ship channel leading into San Francisco Bay. The location was originally described as: "Off San Francisco, 8.6 miles and 244 degrees from the Point Bonita Light, and 3 1/4 miles outside the bar in 109 feet, with Alcatraz and Fort Point lighthouses in range." The station was replaced by the San Francisco lighted horn (LNB) buoy "SF".

Picture 5.- Other 'sailors' out on the bay do a 'fly-by'...
    Attached Images          
    Last edited by Rico; 02-28-2012 at 11:12 AM. Reason: typos

The Mephisto Cat not only managed to complete the course (FINALLY!), but Placed 3rd in Class on the 2012 edition of the Three Bridge Fiasco. Here are a few pictures taken on race Day.

For a detailed race recap (Including pictures, and a video of my finish -sailing backwards... ) you can go the the Three Bridge Fiasco thread here:

http://www.pearsonariel.org/discussi...anyone&p=24419

Picture 1.- A Pearson Triton ('Darwind') heading towards Red Rock. 'Darwind' is now in very PINK livery and has become quite active in Bay Racing. The skipper plans a circumnavigation next year to raise funds to benefit Breast Cancer Research.

Picture 2.- Following the Spinnaker... These guys covered much more ground that we did, but would re-join the Mephisto Cat at the Bay Bridge at the same time later in the day.

Picture 3.- The fleet rounding Red Rock. The great majority of those boats are faster than the Mephisto Cat. And they are coming after us! (fortunately they had lighter winds tha we did.)

Picture 4.- Spotting 'Jessica Rabbit' following her spinnaker.

Picture 5.- Heading home at the end of a very good day... This is not a bad place to call home. (This is the Sunset picture; - it refuses to obey & go to the very end of the picture series where it is intended to go!!!)
    Attached Images          
    Last edited by Rico; 03-21-2012 at 06:12 PM.

Sitting pretty!

See you at the races tomorrow!

More pictures coming soon...
    Attached Images  

It is done...

Well good mates, I've really gone & done it...

The Mephisto Cat has a new owner!
    Now, now - no need to fret. She has actually acquired a great group of stewards. She is going to a very nice family of sailors (including two very young boys who were -pound per pound- by FAR the most capable & eager crew I've seen in a looong time! She is in good hands and will be sailed & taken care of as she should. I could not have wished for a better outcome.

She will be going to a new home in Sausalito... or vicinity (New owner looking for slip there) So keep a sharp lookout for her and please shoot me any pictures you may be lucky enough to catch of her. She is quite fast for her age, and now especially with such an eager crew - so better be at the ready with the camera!

I hope to get back to the bay sometime and get to sail mighty C-155 again... I'll definitely miss her, but I am convinced that this was the right course to follow. As skippers we all make hard decisions all the time... and no decision is taken which involves too much room for doubt!

We spent a ton of time enjoying the salt spray, steep chop, fog, and chilly nights under sail, - as well as those picture-perfect days (& nights) when hard as you may try, there is not a single thing you can think that may possibly be wrong in the world! A pretty boat, flat water, painted skies, nice stiff breeze, and good crew for company... I had gathered a good pool of friendly crew and I will certainly miss this. (even when Singlehandling in sole ocompany of The Mephisto Cat). - Ahhhh. Good times.

I've been busy moving and finding out about east coast earthquakes & these things called 'hurricanes'... Also learning something about some stuff needing 'winterizing' over in these parts... (Does this stuff come in 'spray', or is it more of a 'paste' product? - in any case - It appears I'll need a tub / can or two...)

In any case; we are off to a very good start to a new adventure!

I do not know if the Mephisto Cat's new crew will like to adopt this thread... or perhaps I'll continue it with other sailing adventures and maybe a suggestion - or two regarding a good sailing book to read!

Whatever the verdict; I'll still be roaming around here... As you know; this is the best messageboard anywhere! I'll be requiring lots of sailing pictures, of course.

Now, I'll have more time to share other things besides boat projects... So stay tuned!

Although... I do have a buch of boat project pictures I still have not shared... Some good practical stuff there - if I say so myself! This, alone, will be enough to tide me over until 'sailing season' starts again... (Another funny thing; people actually stop sailing for part of the year around here...

More soon... (including sailing pictures!)

Cheers!
    Last edited by Rico; 01-29-2013 at 07:00 PM.

Ah, Rico - you'll be missed. Please do drop by and I hope Mephisto's new owners - energetic as you describe - will keep us updated. Cheers, cheers, cheers!

Congratulations Rico,
    I'm happy for you and the Cat. Wonderful that she is not hidden away on the hard in the back corner of a boatyard aging and waiting as so many good old boats are.
    Good luck on your new chapter, hopefully you will find away to explore some of the awesome sailing venues that will be so near by.
    Mike
    C227

Unhappy So Long RICO!

I think there is water on the East Coast
    And Commanders to be found!

Fervently hope we find you here again
    with Mefisto Cat II.

Will miss you, your photos and your posts!
    Until we meet again........

Hey Rico, I hear there is a boat for sale........... http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/boa/4438722305.html

Craigslist

Good Catch ED - Thank you...

Wow! - Clearly -A bargain at twice the price!

- What a beauty!

I'll have to check-in to see what the story is with the current owners...

I'm not one to buy into the 'It's a Sign' bit... - but if one were at all of that sort of persuation - one could well argue that good ol' Craig is encouraging the notion of a return to the BAY, eh?

Hey - that's even me and my crew in the picture!
    Attached Images  

I'd venture a guess that fetching $16k might be a world record A/C sale!

+ Reply to Thread