+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Commander #155 'Mephisto Cat'

Hybrid View

The shiny bits...

Ah, the shiny bits!

I was very lucky with respect to the shiny bits... I really had no expectations of being able to get all these parts this pretty, but an acquaintance of my aunt's pulled through on this one...

I went with the idea of getting the bow fitting re-plated or maybe just polished... and MAYBE do the same with the tiller fitting as I looked at that, (and felt sorry for,) the most while sailing!

The gent that owned the shop ended up telling me he'd be happy to re-plate them... And his price was not bad at all... then he proceeded to tell me to just leave the whole box of parts I had with me and he'd do the LOT... To top it off, the work is amazing!

This was around x-mas time last year... I wonder if... Santa...??? - Naaah! - I wasn't that good!

The pictures do the parts no justice. I think I want to have one of these winches as a desk ornament in my office!

Note the Stern light fitting. My original was in sad shape. It was hanging on by the wires, a bit bent, and green as all the chrome was gone...
    I got this replacement by chance off e-bay which came from a 1950's Chris-Craft motorboat. This was shortly after I bought C-155... It sat around for quite a while waiting to be useful again!

The design is almost identical, (the size pretty much the same) but this is significantly heavier and a bit curvier (prettier) than the original Pearson Fitting.

C-155's Flagpole fitting had already fallen off when I came upon her... I have the original 1" Dia. Aluminum part, but I struggled wether to use this original, or go with larger fitting that would allow me to use my flagpoles; A small 3' one that came with the boat, and a lovely 4' -maybe even 4-1/2' long one that my rigger gave me. These are both great and made out of Teak.

I went with the shiny large chromed brass flagpole fitting to match the rest of the shiny parts... With a BIG backing plate as I do not want it falling off again!
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by Rico; 07-09-2008 at 06:52 PM.

S-W-E-E-T!!!!!!

Of course we'll be expecting lots of pictures of C-155 showing off all her shiny bling...
    Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)

Sweet indeed! WOW!!

That dinghy looks simply fine. Have you had it in the water yet? If so, did you like the stability? Looks like it should get you to the beach and back, haul groceries and a little fuel/petro....maybe some spirits if you so desired. The ability to sail it would be a big plus. Add the rub-rail without a doubt.

Yeah, an inflatable would sure be nice. An eight footer would be about as large as you would want to tow don't you think? And if you were to deflate for stowing on deck I'm not sure if there is a 'big' difference between eight or ten footers rolled up but there isn't a whole lot of room up front anyway. Wait a minute...you have that king-sized cockpit.

Then there's locomotion to thnk about. If I recall correctly, hard bottom dinks with a little chine/keel row better. If you want to carry a smaller outboard the inflatables (with rigid bottom) plane better. I think someone here once proposed using the mothership's outboard for the dinghy. That might be practical with a 6hp, but, anything bigger somedays the back sez, "no you don't, fool!"

That's just my two cents, Rico.

P.s. I really like the shiney stuff! Send more pics.

Oh, wow.

Rico is winning the picture contest, hands down.
    Kurt - Ariel #422 Katie Marie
    --------------------------------------------------
    sailFar.net
    Small boats, long distances...

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.
    Quote Originally Posted by epiphany View Post
    Oh, wow.

Rico is winning the picture contest, hands down.
    Now he's going for the prettiest Commander and Dink Award

Very nice

For the dinghy rubrail maybe you could use some sort of white rubber trim. Took a quick look at McMaster.com...something along these lines, with or w/o the core, and UV resistant

Self-Gripping Vinyl Edge Trim with Metal Core
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by commanderpete; 08-05-2008 at 07:16 AM.

what's the 'metal core'?

Isn't there some folklore, legend or tradition that states we should have a star on board for good luck? Painting one on the mast that high up seems like a very good appeasement. Not to mention it looks really cool!

I like your idea of filling in that space between the collar and the stern. May have to steal that one too!

dingy bumpers

I used cushioned dock edging and corners on my tender. it may not be pretty but I'll never leave a mark on my boat no matter how hard I hit it. It's all looking great. When do we get to see pictures of the whole boat??
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by Commander227; 08-06-2008 at 09:05 AM.

+ Reply to Thread