My 100% works well sheeted to the tracks on the cabin top. It's an old style high-cut jib that looks just like the one on the cover of old Commander brochure. When I got the boat in 2002 it had the 100 and a 170% that worked well on the toe-rail track aft of the winches. The problem was that I often found myself in the situation where I had one sail too big and one too little. Worst case was when the wind blew up after I had launched the 170 when sailing single-handed. The boat became quite a handful rather quickly if I got caught out near the lee shore. Did I mention I'm a rookie who did that a few too many times before I learned not to ever fly the big sail by myself? There were a few times when that boat proved it was tougher than I was by getting us through that.

I finally got a used 150 that works OK but is sheeted too far back when fastened to the old track. I can never close the top of the sail. The old 170 was pretty beat so I had it cut down to 150 and I use it downwind as a second headsail. Keeps me from getting caught out with too much dacron flying too.

I think of this boat as an vintage car with crank windows, stick shift, and no AC. I've learned to not try and make too many "improvements". With that in mind I think the best solution for me may be to simply extend the toe-rail track forward 3-4 feet and sacrifice a little in-board angle in order to keep the decks clear. The Commander decks are skinnier than the Ariel's. Your track tucked in close to the cabin trunk addresses that well but I need something to go further aft. My 125 would need track mounted just forward of the winch base overlapping the ends of the coamings and would take up what is now a narrow but clear section of side deck. Rig-Rite has the same flat track and fittings as the original track. I think this is going to be a winter project. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks for the response.