+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Thread: Commander #155 'Mephisto Cat'

The Mephisto Cat not only managed to complete the course (FINALLY!), but Placed 3rd in Class on the 2012 edition of the Three Bridge Fiasco. Here are a few pictures taken on race Day.

For a detailed race recap (Including pictures, and a video of my finish -sailing backwards... ) you can go the the Three Bridge Fiasco thread here:

http://www.pearsonariel.org/discussi...anyone&p=24419

Picture 1.- A Pearson Triton ('Darwind') heading towards Red Rock. 'Darwind' is now in very PINK livery and has become quite active in Bay Racing. The skipper plans a circumnavigation next year to raise funds to benefit Breast Cancer Research.

Picture 2.- Following the Spinnaker... These guys covered much more ground that we did, but would re-join the Mephisto Cat at the Bay Bridge at the same time later in the day.

Picture 3.- The fleet rounding Red Rock. The great majority of those boats are faster than the Mephisto Cat. And they are coming after us! (fortunately they had lighter winds tha we did.)

Picture 4.- Spotting 'Jessica Rabbit' following her spinnaker.

Picture 5.- Heading home at the end of a very good day... This is not a bad place to call home. (This is the Sunset picture; - it refuses to obey & go to the very end of the picture series where it is intended to go!!!)
    Attached Images          
    Last edited by Rico; 03-21-2012 at 06:12 PM.

Sitting pretty!

See you at the races tomorrow!

More pictures coming soon...
    Attached Images  

It is done...

Well good mates, I've really gone & done it...

The Mephisto Cat has a new owner!
    Now, now - no need to fret. She has actually acquired a great group of stewards. She is going to a very nice family of sailors (including two very young boys who were -pound per pound- by FAR the most capable & eager crew I've seen in a looong time! She is in good hands and will be sailed & taken care of as she should. I could not have wished for a better outcome.

She will be going to a new home in Sausalito... or vicinity (New owner looking for slip there) So keep a sharp lookout for her and please shoot me any pictures you may be lucky enough to catch of her. She is quite fast for her age, and now especially with such an eager crew - so better be at the ready with the camera!

I hope to get back to the bay sometime and get to sail mighty C-155 again... I'll definitely miss her, but I am convinced that this was the right course to follow. As skippers we all make hard decisions all the time... and no decision is taken which involves too much room for doubt!

We spent a ton of time enjoying the salt spray, steep chop, fog, and chilly nights under sail, - as well as those picture-perfect days (& nights) when hard as you may try, there is not a single thing you can think that may possibly be wrong in the world! A pretty boat, flat water, painted skies, nice stiff breeze, and good crew for company... I had gathered a good pool of friendly crew and I will certainly miss this. (even when Singlehandling in sole ocompany of The Mephisto Cat). - Ahhhh. Good times.

I've been busy moving and finding out about east coast earthquakes & these things called 'hurricanes'... Also learning something about some stuff needing 'winterizing' over in these parts... (Does this stuff come in 'spray', or is it more of a 'paste' product? - in any case - It appears I'll need a tub / can or two...)

In any case; we are off to a very good start to a new adventure!

I do not know if the Mephisto Cat's new crew will like to adopt this thread... or perhaps I'll continue it with other sailing adventures and maybe a suggestion - or two regarding a good sailing book to read!

Whatever the verdict; I'll still be roaming around here... As you know; this is the best messageboard anywhere! I'll be requiring lots of sailing pictures, of course.

Now, I'll have more time to share other things besides boat projects... So stay tuned!

Although... I do have a buch of boat project pictures I still have not shared... Some good practical stuff there - if I say so myself! This, alone, will be enough to tide me over until 'sailing season' starts again... (Another funny thing; people actually stop sailing for part of the year around here...

More soon... (including sailing pictures!)

Cheers!
    Last edited by Rico; 01-29-2013 at 07:00 PM.

Ah, Rico - you'll be missed. Please do drop by and I hope Mephisto's new owners - energetic as you describe - will keep us updated. Cheers, cheers, cheers!

Congratulations Rico,
    I'm happy for you and the Cat. Wonderful that she is not hidden away on the hard in the back corner of a boatyard aging and waiting as so many good old boats are.
    Good luck on your new chapter, hopefully you will find away to explore some of the awesome sailing venues that will be so near by.
    Mike
    C227

Unhappy So Long RICO!

I think there is water on the East Coast
    And Commanders to be found!

Fervently hope we find you here again
    with Mefisto Cat II.

Will miss you, your photos and your posts!
    Until we meet again........

Hey Rico, I hear there is a boat for sale........... http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/boa/4438722305.html

Craigslist

Good Catch ED - Thank you...

Wow! - Clearly -A bargain at twice the price!

- What a beauty!

I'll have to check-in to see what the story is with the current owners...

I'm not one to buy into the 'It's a Sign' bit... - but if one were at all of that sort of persuation - one could well argue that good ol' Craig is encouraging the notion of a return to the BAY, eh?

Hey - that's even me and my crew in the picture!
    Attached Images  

I'd venture a guess that fetching $16k might be a world record A/C sale!

deflater mouse

"16,000 U S Dollars of 2013 are worth 2,810.02 USD of 1965."

Asking price is a bargain.

Maybe not even enough!
    Last edited by ebb; 04-25-2014 at 10:07 AM.

Heck, care to venture a guess what it would cost to have on of these hulls laid up to original schedule with comparable quality materials at todays prices? A bare hull would set you back multiple tens of thousands, would be my guess.

It's not a cost, it's an investment.
    Kurt - Ariel #422 Katie Marie
    --------------------------------------------------
    sailFar.net
    Small boats, long distances...

Ensign

Hey Kurt! Get some idea from the 'Largest Class of Full Keel Boats in North America'.
    Pearson built 1775 of them between 1962 and 1983. In 2000 Zeke Durica in Florida
    began building The Classic Ensign to Class rules. Boats were numbered beginning 2000.

Ensigns are 22'6" X 16'9" X 7' X 3'. Weigh in at around 2850 to 3000 lbs.
    Chad Lewis now builds and refurbishes them in Marquette MI. On the
    ENSIGN SPARS site he has a used new era Ensign #2016 for sale at $26,500.
    He's got Ensign #146 for sale at $12,000.
    Assume they're ready to race.

Remember seeing new Ensigns for sale at a much higher price, $35,000 ???

Some idea what a brand new Commander might cost (if the tooling existed) !
    ($50,000 - $65,000 - more?)
    Last edited by ebb; 04-25-2014 at 04:17 PM.

Rico here is one more for you. I think they are calling!!!!!!......ed
    http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/boa/4440849422.html

I cherish her every day I'm at the helm. Zero dispute on value. By a long stretch, I couldn't afford this beautiful yacht from a cheeky 2014 boat show.

Thank you!

Thank you so much for documenting the trailer dimensions. I am in the process of altering a trailer for our Pearson 26, "Zephyrus".

+ Reply to Thread