Thread: Commander #155 'Mephisto Cat'

Threaded View

Reporting in on progress:

Had a very enjoyable sail from Marina Del Rey to Oxnard. I shoved off at sunrise. It quickly became a nice warm and pretty calm day. I was able to go up front and do a bit of reading on the bow for a bit. The morning haze wore off right away and I could see some of the billowing smoke from the remaining SoCal fires far away.

Picture #1 Had an amazing sunset by the channel islands on my approach to Oxnard. At the time of this picture, I am still a couple of hours out. I did not make it to my assigned slip until it was quite dark...

It was fun trying to make my enty into the harbor. Dredging operations were underway in the entry channel that night and it was hard to make out the anchor bouy lights from the background. The handy 1.5M candlepower spotlight came out to light our way. (This is a handy thing to have on board if sailing in unfamiliar waters!)

Unfortunately, the key that was to be left for me in the 'hiding place' by the friendly marina staff was nowhere to be found. Fortunately, I ran into a few of the locals enjoying a nice community dinner on the dock and they provided a loaner key for the night. Their BBQ'd fish smelled great... They also had a bit of mellow live music going on... They extended an invitation, but I had an early start and it was already late...

Carol arrived at the marina around 9:00 pm. She was not feeling all that well ... (Hmmm, not good...) and was a bit tired so she went right to bed as I grabbed a quick bite. Fortunately she was feeling better the next morning. We cast off at around 7:30am for Santa Barbara.

Picture #2 is as we approached Santa Barbara under Sail... Certainly a beautiful day and unusually warm. (Read: 'not cold'...). We pulled into the fuel dock sometime after 3:00pm and after fueling-up and having a chat with the locals about the weather forecast at Point Conception, and thoughts about rounding the point over the next couple of days we were pointed to the guest dock where we could hang out for 3-4 hours until our departure scheduled for a few hours later. It was the prime spot for people watching... It was nice & warm (in the mid 70's) in the Marina.

Kristen showed-up after we'd had a nice dinner and Carol had a nice nap... We chased after a 2.5 gallon jerry can to store some extra fuel for the 130 or so mile passage (- just in case) and set off towards Point Conception at about 7:30pm. I hate these new so-called 'safety spouts' on Jerry cans. They are not safe, contrary to their promises (they leak!) and are not very convenient to use...

Our goal was to round the point in the very early hours of the next morning . The next two pictures are of Point Arguello, and were taken soon after sun-up just after rounding the points.

Picture #3 The camera flattens out the largest seas... The swells were impressive around the point, but far enough apart so that they were not a major issue. (Compare with the next shot and see how much land you can see...) The swell reflections from each of the two points caused a bit of a mess even at 15-20 miles out at sea where we were on our approach to Point Conception and Point Arguello in order to avoid this very condition. We took a bearing close to due North as we reached past Point Arguello and actually got fairly close -to the point where the installations of Vandenberg Air Force Base were visible. (Picture #4).

The reflected swell made the seas quite messy. It was impressive to see the large swells coming at us from both the West AND the North East (reflected off the cliffs).

We took down the main after the winds clamed in the early morning and rode the washing-machine around the point. Not the most comfortable ride, but I guess it is better to have too little wind here rather than too much... We really cannot complain... We were clear of the point at around 7 am and we had a further 85 miles or so to Morro Bay.

Prior to rounding the point it is important to check the missile test schedule at Vandenberg Air Force Base as they test all sorts of projectile weapons there... On top of the weather, wind, swells & current issues you also have to worry about being blown out of the water by a stray missile! Fortunately, no missile firings were scheduled for that night.

-Further details on the rounding of Point Conception are included in my next post below.

As I write this post, we are sitting in Morro Bay Yacht Club Guest Dock (1st picture in my next post below) enjoying a nice calm lazy afternoon after a 130-some mile sail from Santa Barbara which included the rounding of Point Conception. We consumed about 7 gallons of fuel and had 3 to spare on arrival.

Around sunset, we decided to skip Port San Luis on the coast west of San Luis Obispo and sailed a further 23 Miles to the Morro Bay. We came over the harbor bar at Morro bay Harbor at about 9:30pm last night.

It was a very DARK moonless night during the climb up from about Port San Luis to Morro Bay, and it was a bit of a slog as the northerly winds developed -albeit lightly in the late afternoon along with a steep 2ft swell -both right on the nose slowing our progress by at least a couple of hours overall.

We were running low on fuel and we decided to re-fuel mid-Estero Bay as I did not want to risk running out of fuel going over the bar at the entrance of Morro Bay harbor. Fortunately, the bar was not a problem that night . A quick hail on the VHF to the Coast Guard informed us that there were only 3 ft swells, with an occasional 5 footer coming over the bar but none were breaking.

The Morro Bay harbor has a relatively narrow entry, but as a result it is very sheltered from weather providing almost completely still waters once you clear the bar.

We were feeling good about completing the long passage, but quite tired, and after tying up at the dock and a quick run to the bathroom, we enjoyed a bit of wine and some great food on the boat (everything was closed by this time). After enjoying some re-living the events of our passage and some tales about Kristin's previous adventures, we promptly fell asleep - as the proverbial rocks.

We had barely eaten anything over the last 24 hrs, we noted. But we really did not feel very hungry over the previous day... Probably had our attention elsewhere - especially coming around the point!

It was a relief to be past Point Conception. It is amazing how much of a psychological barrier it represents and how the 'lore of the Point' keeps many local sailors firmly either North, or South of it. Many never even think of attempting a crossing. I heard many words of warning about the Point; curiously and consistently from people who'd never been even close to the area. Those few sailors who I found had done it were only encouraging - as long as I watched the weather...

Kristin has sadly left us as of this morning. She could only manage to free herself from other comittments for this short portion of the voyage, and we were all sad that this leg was over so quickly. We were actually a bit ahead of schedule as I had included a weather day on the schedule for this leg... so Kristen felt as if her trip had been cut short. - But now she has many good stories to tell over thanksgiving dinner!

Ed - Thank you for the weather insight - We were a bit luckier down south as far as the weather over the last few days. I am still about 300 miles away from you in Santa Cruz, but I'll be getting further north and checking the weather closely as we make our way.

We have checked the weather this morning and I do think we will sit out this front for the moment as it seems like there are a couple of storms which will kick up the wind & swells - not to mention the rain- over the next several days.

The next stretch is also a long one (About 120 miles to Monterey) without much in the way of ports / anchorages / places to hide from the weather... So we will wait for the next suitable weather window.

This weather delay suits us nicely as we definitely need a day, or two for rest after this long leg. And Morro Bay is just the place to do it. It is very peaceful and most things are conveniently within a stone's throw of the harbor. We rented a movie last night, but I fell asleep with about 5 minutes to go...

I hear Big sur can be a bear also, do you have any insight on that area? Thank you very much!

Our next leg is also a long one - Morro Bay to Monterey - 120 miles. There is the anchorage at San Simeon, but this is only 20 miles north of Morro Bay. After this there are no other safe nooks until a small anchorage just west of Carmel, but this is only a handful of miles South of Monterrey.

I have found that the local advice from the fishermen, the fuel dock attendants, the local sailors etc. is invaluable. While attempting to ask the people who 'should' know best (harbor officials / Coast Guard, etc.) this produces only non-answers to any questions... I assume for fear of liability or (???). I wonder where this sort of general attitude will lead us eventually...

Thanks!
    Attached Images        
    Last edited by Rico; 07-29-2009 at 11:56 AM. Reason: Adding details & Miles / editing typos