+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Commander #155 'Mephisto Cat'

Hybrid View

I got the UK-Halsey loft in Venice, CA to put the hanks on. They seem to be doing pretty well. I tested out the Storm sail briefly when we had a bit of a blow. I have not used the 135%, but I did try it on for looks at the dock...

I have to get my act together and complete the installation of the Genoa tracks to be able to use all my sails properly... I know I'm going to regret not having this done soon, but it has been wet recently and I somehow have been lacking the motivation to dive into this project...

I am glad this 'lazyness' did not hit me when the boat was all torn apart!

I am currently rigged for my working jib & storm sail (tracks on the cabin top) and I can also rig up my 180% Genoa (with a NOT-very-elegant arrangement involving my greatly reinforced stern cleats) I took advantage of this rigging arrangement in the Three Bridge Fiasco race (See relevant thread for the story of that race here: http://www.pearsonariel.org/discussi...ead.php?t=1930).

BUT Yes - my sail shape and ability to trim the sails suffers with my limited set-up, but I am happy to be sailing, and seem to not be so eager to keep working! I just seem to want to sail

In any case, I' sure will get on top of it shortly... I'm sure that a bit of nice weather will get me on top of it! (I hope!)

I already have the track and hardware, but I need to look into the different rigging arrangements out there to get some ideas... I got some simple track blocks on cars, but I am wondering what the options are...

Second picture below (Picture after the B/W aerial shot) is a big zoom shot of me going out into the Carquinez straits in a light breeze recently... I am singlehandling with the 180% Genoa. This was taken from the bluff at the point where the Napa River joins the Sacramento River at the Carquinez straits.

This sail is big... (The clew is just behind my shoulder in the picture) I bought it used in almost new condition. It was tailor made for a Commander. I really like it, it is well made, clean, and the price was right... - It works great in a light breeze as you can see by the bow wave, but quickly looses efficiency as the wind picks-up above 12-13 kts.

I guess it won't see much use in the summer!

Aerial Picture (B/W) and Picture of the Mephisto Cat at the Cove Docks
    I recently landed at Ayala Cove (on Angel Island in SF Bay) for the first time. We only spent an hour or so there as I wanted to figure out the rules of the park, docks & Moorings... You can use the docks only during the day, but you can spend the night on a first-come-first-serve mooring for $20. It is a beautifully sheltered little cove and is a great place to spend a quiet weekend hiking, picknicking, biking, while the boat is a mooring!

Picture of other Commander (Below on the right)
    While on the island, we walked around for a bit. and while dissapointed that the beergarden was closed, we just happened to run into 'Wave' - another Commander! (Which I have not seen on the board...) I do not know the Hull number, but the owner is from Argentina and is based out of Sausalito! He had a bunch of kids out for a fun day...
    Attached Images      
    Last edited by Rico; 07-28-2009 at 05:06 PM. Reason: typos / Add Angel Island Pic

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.
    WOW!! Great pics

Do you have lazy jacks and pulpit running lights now??

Sure would like to hear about the installation

The Mephisto Cat looks sweeeet

+ Reply to Thread