Thread: Commander #155 'Mephisto Cat'

Threaded View

Northward progress

Thanks all for the comments! Work is still progressing. More on that soon...

Commanderpete: Good eye! I usually do route the sheet outside the foward lower and inside the others as you describe, but this is only with my working (100%) Jib. In this picture we were approaching San Diego in light winds and I had my nifty large Genoa (180%) in use in order to catch as much wind as possible. With this headsail running, the sheet goes around all the rigging -and then some (it is BIG)... The reason you see the sheet going thought the cabintop block is that it helps to keep the leeward sheet out of the drink while it is not in use. It is just storage! (No need to tack on final approach that day!)

I think I've decided to put back the handrails... I just need to get to them! Having them a bit longer would be handy. I have to picture that...
    I feel quite safe with my lanyard arrangement while heading forward. As safe as if I had lifelines - I suppose since I would not want to rely on low lifelines supported by stanchions with a large cantilever...

Mr. 227 / EBB: I'm with 'Lucky Dawg' on the cockpit issue... I'll admit that the bridge deck option seemed appealing when I first saw the possibility of taking on a open(er) water passage, but I do feel good about the configuration now that I have some heavy-er weather nautical miles under my life preserver. These boats are stiff, but they do pop-up quickly on top of rushing water from the stern. I'd say that the bow has more of a tendency to go underwater (had that happen!!) but the resulting deluge is in the correct direction to prevent flooding underneath.

As pointed out, there is the option of putting a board, or two in the companionway if things get really nasty to prevent flooding...

Some info on the topic here... http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/23..._tips/b19.html

Specific bridgedeck assemblyline discussion here:
    http://www.pearsonariel.org/discussi...ead.php?t=1932

Just to catch-up on my current location in Marina del Rey; here are a few pictures of the cruise up from Mexico.

PICTURE 1 We shoved off at 1:00am on Sept 30th, a Saturday Morning (I'm not all that supersticious, but this 'getting going' bussiness takes a LONG time!) This is a picture at about 8:00am the next proper 'morning'. It was a DOLDRUM'S sort of CALM... Not a stitch of wind. It seemed as if you coould jump off the boat and walk to the coast! You may be able to notice a huge feeding frenzy going on in the distance behind the boat and towards shore. We actually sailed though it, but it was so amazing that I did not even think of the camera until we'd passed...

PICTURE 2 In the light winds, we tried to stay entertained... Here we are trying out the spinnaker (only for show really since I am not properly rigged for it yet...) but I'll figure that out later... we are also showing our little courtesy flag as we were still in Mexican waters.
    Attached Images    
    Last edited by Rico; 06-08-2009 at 04:18 PM.