Quote Originally Posted by hawkinsp View Post
Alright, I've done it. I drilled a hole in the bottom of my Ariel. ... Then I took a 12" long 5/16" bit since I had read both 1/4" and 3/8" and also because this was the only bit I had that was 12" long and I had drilled with a normal bit (3" or so) and had drawn nothing but dry glass.... I then measured forward 2" from the rudder shoe, ... .
Finally! I have been searching in vain for this post! Saw it eons ago, but couldn't hit the right search terms to find it when I needed it. (http://pearsonariel.org/discussion/s...4177#post14177 post #7)

Being in line to be the next owner to purposely drill a holes in his boat... I've read the manual and the many keel void posts here, and I was wanting some pictures and measurements.

Thanks for posting the pictures, Peter. Between your measurements and others suggestions, Lucky Dawg may look like swiss cheese when I'm done. It seems that a drain fitting as folks have suggested would make sense, but I am wondering if that fitting is necessarily preferable over just drilling a hole again next year.

On that similar subject... Mike, I was curious about your suggetion of a drain fitting at the bottom of the bilge (for draining rain water while hauled out.) How on earth would I estimate its position? I don't have an xray handy and the top of my bilge is glassed over... Do I just drill in the vicinity like a woodpecker??

Inquiring minds want to know.