+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Yawl conversion

Yawl conversion

Someone about a year ago was talking about changing their Ariel over to a yawl. I coulnt find the post but heres a picture of a Tartan 27 yawl that might give you some ideas..
    Attached Images  

Steve ,
    That was me , over in the 'sailing' topics back in Oct . I'm still going to do it , have the mast and rig , need a sail , but have other things to do 1st .
    Always wanted a Triton yawl .

Mike G

Mike
    I've been trying to find the thread that discussed the yawl conversion. 'Don't know if this is the right hit but I'm jumping in here. Soooo, what's up with the conversion? I like it when people get crazy ideas and then make them work. Triton yawls do have something about them. If light wind ails you then I could see why you'd attempt the conversion. I'm all behind you. Tony G

ps This months Cruising World had the $75-100K cruisers and one of the boats presented was a Concordia 40. That's a sweet yawl. Oh yeah, I kinda have a soft spot for wooden sailboats too.

The conversion is still on , may happen this winter if the weather is mild enough .
    Chainplates are in place for split backstay .
    I need to move the main traveler , intall maststep , which is ready .
    Get shrouds for mizzen.
    Make boom.
    Get sail cut .

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.
    From the cover of the January 2000 Newsletter showing Bob Lincoln's factory built Commander Yawl "Yabut"

Looks like he's flying four sails!
    Last edited by commanderpete; 11-15-2002 at 10:51 AM.

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.
    Maybe this scan will work
    Attached Images  

NO REPLY

Sorry to say, we have not been able to get a response from Bob other than the above photo.

It's a mizzen staysail , the yawl's secret weapon . Totally unpenalized sail area .

hey-how'd he do that

Mike
    I hope you don't tire of these stupid maybe redundant questions. In CP's attached photo doesn't the foot of Yabut's mainsail look extraordinarily high? I that a characteristic of yawls (or maybe just smaller yawls). I scanned back to Steve's Tartan 27 photo and that boom seems mush higher than I would have expected. In regards to the split backstays (here we go-sensitive subject again )are you forced to install double backstays or are they/it just split to a certain height? If they're double are they set up like running backstays so you could ease the main out as until you start rubbing the lowers? Or do the chainplates attach to the corners of the transom so there is plenty of clearance? Where are the attachment points for the stays/shrouds of the mizzen mast(is that what 'that thing' is called)? What about issues like mast height and boom lenght? Are they calculated by some formula based on sail area or displacement or righting moment or is it less scientific and more asthetic?
    Maybe the orginization should 'put the squeeze' on Bob Lincoln for some more info on that sporty Commander. How 'bout those other factory yawls-where are they now?
    I'd appreciate it you could educate me here as you just don't see many sailboats period around this neck of the woods and a yawl is totally out of the question. I have a few good books here on maintenance, tactics, seamanship and the sort but nothing that really digs into these matters. thanks Tony G

The boom height is misleading in the photo , Commander's look to have a higher boom , while it is a lower cabin you see .
    Yawl's boom placement is the same for sloops & cutters .
    The main thing is no "el kabong on the noggin " on any small boat .
    You have to split the backstay for the mizzen boom to swing clear .I believe the split point is 10'up from the transom . The mizzen stands in the notch formed .The new stays are going to new chainplates on the outside corners of the hull , they could be on the transom , but my placement is more beneficial for the mizzen boom when eased off running downwind .
    The after mizzen shrouds go to the same chainplates as the new backstays , the forward shrouds will go to a point on deck , just clear of the main boom's arc of travel.
    An optional jumper stay can be rigged from the mizzen mast to the backstay above the split .
    Running backstays are not a good idea on a deck stepped mast if they provide the sole support from aft .
    The main boom should be clear of all rigging just as on the sloop , when you move the backstay to the corners of the boat it only comes forward marginally , and only the roach of the main will have more contact to the backstay if any at all .
    The beauty of this setup is off the wind with a mizzen spinaker or staysail . Easy to set and douse , adds a lot of boat speed in light air and no one has to go on the foredeck .
    Also when a storm hits suddenly , just drop the main and the boat quits heeling but is under control and balance is perfect .
    You want to heave to for lunch or whatever , drop all but the mizzen , sheet it in hard , tie the tiller amidships and you will go backwards very , very slowly . Now drop the anchor and it will help set it for you by pulling straight back on the rode .
    The only drawback is; hard on the wind pinching , the mizzen usually is backwinded by the main too much to be of use , so just furl it untill you bear off .

Just a silly photograph taken in Brightwaters in 1916.

Anita Stewart was a popular silent-movie actress.

My parents live in the house she built.
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by commanderpete; 11-18-2002 at 08:38 AM.

Where's it goin'?

Mike
    It's way too cold to do anything boat-like here, how about there? Wait a minute-didn't you once post a story about sailing in a snow storm-I guess it's never too cold for you. We've been doing more snooping around, looking at yawls again and thought I'd reread some of the posts and look for any progress. Completely forgot I was going to ask you this back in Nov.,where are you going to move the main sail traveler to? Are you going to eat up some of that precious cockpit space or maybe do a cabin top installation?

Tony,

As I get older , too cold becomes a higher temperature than last year . High 20's this morning ,may reach 45 by 3pm . It was near 70 last week , but the tide was wrong for a sail .

If you have the original Pearson mainsheet setup , you could step the mast between the blocks just in front of the lazarette hatch & still use the old sheet setup .( you will get a little rubbing on the mast when the sheet is all out )
    I have a track that will have to be moved/replaced and it will be right aft in the cockpit spanning the seats and over the tiller head , more or less. As far aft as I can get it so I wont lose more than 2" of cockpit seats.

Mike
    A friend tracked me down a while back because his neighbor had this great little sailboat for sale. I had to look. It was a rotted-out c-scow that I had no interest in. However, the mast had recently been replaced with a shiney new extrusion and standing rigging to match. The owner wanted WAY too much at the time. It got me thinking about a yawl conversion though.
    How is it you came to a yawl sail plan versus just adding an inner stay to the fore deck? From the Pardeys on down, everybody seems to praise the cutter rig and it's versatility but nobody seems to mention yawl rigs. Is it just because they have a cutter?

Adding and inner stay is not where it's at for a lot of reasons;
    1)It still would not be a cutter, but a double headsail sloop. A true cutter has the headstay and backstay the same distance from the mast , +or- 10% , so you have to move the mast back and make the boom shorter or the headstay would have to go on a bowsprit . All of this to keep the sail plan ballanced .$$$$$$$$$$$
    2)That is where the dinghy goes.
    3) the Ariel's jibs are small already , a bowsprit, on the otherhand would lengthen the sail plan .
    4)The staysail would be so tiny as to be useless except in very heavy air.
    5)The new stay would interupt the v-berth area

The yawl, on the otherhand;
    1) is mostly inboard and easier to manage .
    2) It would benefit on all points of sail other than a dead beat to weather.
    3) Is cheaper as I have the mast and boom already.
    4) I like the way it looks ( wanted a Triton yawl for nearly 40 years now )
    5)Easy access antenna mounts.
    6)Mizzen staysails and spinakers are a trip !You can do 6knots in a six knot breeze , which would eat up a 36' boat side by side , been there , did it !

I am mostly interested in improving extreme lightair sailing quality , 80% of my summer weather is less than 7knot breezes , and dollar for dollar, the yawl is the best investment plus a well cut 180% drifter .

+ Reply to Thread