+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lesson in life

Lesson in life

Over the years I have posted on this board some of my experiences sailing on different waters around the country. I am sure I have credited my mentor Ernie Rideout many times for all that he has taught me. Well Ernie has taught me one more lesson, but this time it is not about sailing but about life. He has proven to me beyond approach that you are “as young as you feel” or better than that “You are as young as you act”.

I just got off the phone with Ernie (6 weeks before his 89) he told me he won the Santana 22 National Championship this weekend in Monterey CA. He sailed his boat to Monterey on Thursday. Then went out with the fleet on Friday for a tune up race. He won that. Saturday he sailed in three races and at the end of the day had an 8-point lead over the fleet. Sunday went out and took the first race. Then in a fit of glory missed timed the second race start and took the sterns of the whole fleet off the line. In true Ernie fashion he went to work driving his little boat and passed them all by the first weather mark.

I am the most fortunate person in the world to know and sail with this man. Some day I hope to able to get him to slow down enough so he can maybe talk on the site. After all he does have a little experience sailing Ariel and the little Electras.

Sounds like an interesting,knowledgable and 'lively' old gentleman. Neet 'ole lads' are a treasure...enjoy his company

I don't know what to write here other than to say that Ernie Rideout has passed away. He was a long time member of the Ariel Assoc. and a past Ariel class champion. I could go on and on about what Ernie has meant to me and the sailing community over all. I will miss him. .....ed

From your post above which was dated 2006, he must have been 98ish then? And from your description, I'll bet he was out sailing yesterday! You can bet he'll be looking over your shoulder when you and Pathfinder are out there racing. You really feel a void when a presence in your life like that passes on to the next. Sincerest condolences to you and his family...
    Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)

Thanks for letting us know. Will there be a memorial service?

I am sure there will be something but as of yesterday nothing was planned. I'll let you know.......ed

Hey Ed,
    Ernie sounds like he was a true gift to you in his lifetime. My condolences to you for such a great loss.
    Kyle

Exclamation ernie rideout sailor

on google, will bring a bit more on this incredible small boat sailor.
    At one time there were some photos of his times and tides.

Maybe it's a bit like asking a great impressionist like Renoir, how
    do you hold the brush while painting a masterpiece?

But it would be marvelous to witness how Ernie finessed the tiller,
    what exactly did he look for when the jibsheet was eased,
    and what was he seeing, when he read the wind and currents....

As I understand it, he was always first...
    Ernie Rideout never lost a race.

Could say, even this last one... well into his golden years.
    Last edited by ebb; 06-10-2015 at 01:04 AM.

Ernest Rideout October 6, 1917 - June 3, 2015

Ernie’s memorial service was held at the Santa Cruz Yacht Club on Wed, June 24, 2015. Here are a few photos of the event. Ernie's in the middle of the last photo with one of his most recent awards. The previous photo is of 2nd Lt Rideout -- along with his favorite cocktail and a photo of a Santana 22 regatta (which he won, of course).

Please read the earlier posts in this thread to learn about his recent sailing success. And read his obituary (link in post above) to learn about his long sailing history and his very full life.
    Attached Images          
    Last edited by Bill; 06-25-2015 at 08:50 PM.

Ernie Rideout . .
    Attached Images  

+ Reply to Thread