+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ariel 18 (another RI ariel in long term storage)

Hybrid View

Ariel 18 (another RI ariel in long term storage)

Just like Ariel 409 at New England Boat Works, there is one more Ariel in RI that may benefit from a new home (maybe this posting will flush out an owner)...

Here's Ariel #18 in storage for at least the past 6 years at Sail Newport (http://www.sailnewport.org):
    Attached Images  

want to find her on a map? ... She's at Sail Newport, 60 Fort Adams Drive Newport RI:
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by bill@ariel231; 07-18-2006 at 05:37 AM.

Any idea is Sail Newport is inclined to sell this beauty? I am in Newport and have been wanting an Ariel for about a year now. Since my wife and I just had a baby a few months ago, I think a bargin boat is the smart way to go right now. Something that is "sailable" but needs some work is what I am looking for. It seems like the baby fits the bill if it is for sale.

Jack

I don't know. I suspect in the case of both #18 & #409 some detective work can get you to the current owner in the case of #18 and maybe someone willing to write a bill of sale in the case of #409. From Sail Newport's website, there is an agreement that unpaid bills for storage will result in a boat being auctioned off. When I last saw "Exodus" listed in the newport paper, the asking price was $6k (that was 6 or 7 years ago). I expect she would actually go for much much less than that... (who knows for a "good home" she may go for the cost of storage).

happy hunting,

Bill
    Last edited by bill@ariel231; 07-18-2006 at 09:29 AM.

Bill,

Thanks for the info. I will swing by there this weekend and see who I can talk to. I have even ran it by the wife and she wasn't completely opposed to the idea.

This would be pretty exciting. My grandparents were the original owners of an ariel. I am trying to find out which hull number they had to see if I can track down its history.

Jack

+ Reply to Thread