+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Insurance Quotes

Insurance Quotes

I dug aound in the archives and used the search to no avail. What does everyone pay for insurance, and what company is best?

I have all my auto through USAA and they have some insanely great rates, but for #97 they said it's to old (how dare they) they brokered me out to progressive (i feel like a call girl) with "Drive" insurance it's 600+ a year. Got a quote through Boat US and it was 540 something but they wanted a survey. Full coverage on 7k (current policy is an aggreed cash value of 5400).

97 is an inboard which I'm told has alot to do with the premium, I'm a new boat owner which I imagine has something to do with also. My drivers licence has one ticket on it which i'm not sure why in the world that would matter, as well as 0 at fault accidents. 2 vehicals (car 02 and jeep 06) both full coverage only costs us 100 bucks a month.

Is this the average?
    #97 "Absum!"

Check your homeowner's policy. Mine has liability coverage for boats up to 26 feet.
    Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)

Quote Originally Posted by mbd
    Check your homeowner's policy. Mine has liability coverage for boats up to 26 feet.
    I was just going to say . . . If all you need is liability coverage, your homeowner's policy likely already covers you. Remember, for insurance purposes the boat is 25' 7" (i.e., under 26 feet).

<--- under the impression under a note the bank requires full coverage
    #97 "Absum!"

Quote Originally Posted by tha3rdman
    <--- under the impression under a note the bank requires full coverage
    Good luck!

guess that explains the 600 a year . . . humm :/
    #97 "Absum!"

I'm paying $230 for a year (liability only) in Chicago. I have no home owner's insurance, so I had to take a specific insurance. It's with Progressive.

marina insurance

My marina required an insurance rider, so I ended up going with BoatUS. They did require a survey (not a bad idea anyway), and then required that some of the identified work be done, but the annual rate is 125 (no inboard).

I guess us Chesapeakers get off easy. BoatUS required a self-survey and some photos when I bought the boat 4 years ago. I'm paying less than $200 a year. It went up somewhat with all the storms last year. My insurance agent says he can never beat BoatUS and thinks their service and features are very good. He refers his customers to them for boats.

I wonder if some insurance company would consider a group of Ariel/Commander owners a "group"?

Skipperjer, I'm in the Bay, cant get too much further north Havre de grace mouth of the Susquhanna River, any rate Boat US quoted 540/yr but wanted a survey.

Maybe the Owners group could funish Boat US with some satistical info, making us more insurable , and better rates.
    #97 "Absum!"

MBD, Just wondering what company your homeowners is with.
    Harry

Peerless Insurance
    It looks like they're only up here in the NE.

Jeeze Harry, I just read your profile. I'm so sorry! All that work... Hopefully, you guys came out OK?

BTW, I think there's an Ariel down your way in need of a loving and capable owner.
    Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)

Mike, Going to look at it tomorrow...Harry

I did get ahold of our Homeowners insuance agency (USAA) and there are provisions for a vessle up to 30 feet with less then a 50 horse IB/OB. some other nit picky restrictions, covers theft if it was parked on the premisis, carrys all the same libility limits as you have on your house which is more then any boat I'll ever run into. One thing i thought was funny it covers electrionics in the boat upto 1k but subject to the deductable (my ded is 1k, I'd be SOL)
    #97 "Absum!"

+ Reply to Thread