+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Commander #5

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.

F.S.: Commander #5 in MD

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=4647290518

The Pearson Commander is a 26' daysailer/overnighter/weekender designed by noted Naval Architect Carl Alberg. Carl Alberg designed many classic sailboats, including: Pearson Triton, Pearson Ensign, Cape Dory Typhoon, and Alberg 30. Alberg designed boats with full keels, narrow beams and classic looks. And his designs were known for their seaworthiness and well-mannered sailing characteristics. (One Commander was sailed all over the world, and Carl Alberg himself also owned and sailed a Commander.)
    The Pearson Commander was produced by Pearson Yachts from the early- to late-1960s, and it is the sistership to the Pearson Ariel (which was also produced during that time). The Commander and Ariel shared the same hull, but the Ariel was orientated more to cruising, with a larger cabin and smaller cockpit, while the Commander emphasized a much bigger cockpit and relatively smaller cabin. In fact the Commander's 9' cockpit is one of its best features because it provides ample room for comfortable daysailing. While basic, the cabin has overnight accommodations for up to 4 people, space for a head (under the v-berth), and a galley sink. The Commander can be viewed as a bigger version of the Pearson Ensign, another classic Alberg design.

This Pearson Commander is a 1964 model and is Hull #5 (yes...Hull #5). It might be the earliest Commander currently in existence. Additionally, it was owned by one family continuously from initial purchase until it was donated to our sailing organization.

This Commander comes with mainsail, genoa, jib, spinnaker and full mooring cover. Auxiliary power is provided by a 7.5 hp Johnson outboard. But it is a vintage boat and is in need of some work. (See "Vehicle Condition" below.)

Pearson boats have a strong ownership communities and the Commander is no exception. More info on Pearson Yachts, Carl Alberg and the Commander is available on the web at:

http://www.pearsonvanguard.homestead...es/comandr.htm

http://pearsoninfo.net/commander/commander.htm

http://www.bway.net/~bogle/commander.html

http://www.alberg30.org/collaborate/PearsonCommander

Additionally, a Google search will probably turn up other sites of interest.

This Vessel was a donation to Planet Hope (www.planethopedc.com), a non-profit organization, to benefit our sailing programs for at-risk youth. It will sold to the highest bidder without reserve.

SPECIFICATIONS
    Year: 1964
    LOA: 25' 6"
    LWL: 18' 5"
    Beam: 9'
    Draft: 3' 8"
    Displacement: 5,100 lbs.
    Ballast: 2.700 lbs.

EQUIPMENT
    Sails and Rigging:
    Mainsail
    Genoa
    Working Jib
    Spinnaker
    Spinnaker Pole
    Cockpit Winches
    Mainsail Winch
    Traveller
    Standing Rigging

Interior:
    V-Berth
    Port Berth
    Starboard Berth
    Head Area under V-Berth
    Pump Sink
    Folding Table
    Full Cushions

Other Equipment:
    Johnson 7.5 hp Outboard
    Outboard Motor Mount
    Mooring Cover
    Bow Pulpit

VEHICLE CONDITION
    This Pearson Commander actively sailed the Chesapeake Bay for many years and often competed in local races. As mentioned before, she was owned by the same man and his family until her donation to Planet Hope. She has been stored on-land for many years and is now in need of some restoration work.

The hull and bottom look to be in decent condition but she needs new bottom paint. You could opt to paint the hull. Three of the four sails (mainsail, jib and spinnaker) are in good condition and the fourth (genoa) is in average condition. The standing rigging is intact but she will need new running lines. The interior cabin is also intact. The Commander was outfitted with a well in the lazarette for the outboard. This boat has an outboard mount on the stern. You could keep the outboard there or put it back into the well. The outboard has been stored indoors. But it has not been run in some time and you should assume it would need maintenance.

There are four main areas of attention:

Foredeck: This boat has soft spots on the foredeck at the bow area. There are also cracks in the deck where the bow pulpit is attached.

Cockpit Coamings and Tiller: The wooden cockpit coamings are intact but have large lateral cracks and should be reinforced and treated. The tiller has completely deteriorated and needs replacement. Additionally, the metal rubrail is loose along the starboard cockpit side and should be reattached.

Cabin: The cabin cushions are dirty and could benefit from new covers. The current covers have some holes. Also, some of the wood access panels on the cabin floor need some support trim reattached.

Cleaning: Lastly, the boat needs to be cleaned. In fact, the boat is dirtier than the pictures show. (I don't know why that is, but it is.)

There are other dings and scratches from usage that may not show up in the pictures. And you would certainly find other things to work on. For example, the running lights, battery wiring, etc.

In conclusion, this is a 1964 Pearson Commander...perhaps the earliest Commander in existence. And it is interesting to note that this boat was owner by the same person from her purchase in 1964 until her donation last year.

She comes with a nice suite of sails, including spinnaker, outboard, and a full mooring cover. But she is in need of work. You could opt to work on her enough to get her back in the water, or go for a restoration. Either way, she deserves someone who can provide good care.

The Pearson Commander is a classic full-keel daysailer/overnighter/weekender from the draft board of Carl Alberg. With a 9' cockpit, she has lots of space yet still has accommodations for overnights. This boat would be suitable for someone who is looking for a classic and who can provide the care and restoration she needs and deserves. If this does describe you, please do not bid.

All pictures are recent and were taken on May 5, 2006 where the boat is presently located. There are also about 70 pictures for your review posted on the internet at:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mhunsicker1/my_photos
    Attached Images  

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.
    This inclinometer allows you to calculate angle of heel to within 1/2 a degree.
    Attached Images  

Ebay Commander #5

Add says earliest hull still in existance

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Pears...QQcmdZViewItem
    #97 "Absum!"

Hello

Hello everyone, my name is David and I am the proud new owner of this 1964 Commander Hull #5. I couldn't be happier. I have thoroughly enjoyed reading many of your posts and especially lookin at all those photos of your boats.

Thank you all for all for your pictures and for your enthusiam and appreciation for these great classic Alberg designed-Pearson built boats, which truthfully in part inspired me to buy her. I hope I prove to be worthy to join your ranks as new owner and steward to Hull #5.

A special hello here to commanderpete - hope to meet you someday - really enjoy your posts. Best regards to all, I'll keep you all updated on my progress. - David
    Last edited by Commander#5; 06-15-2006 at 08:04 PM.

Welcome Aboard David!

Welcome Aboard David!

I was almost afraid when I saw how cheap itr went, that it had gone to be parted out.

Really gald to see you post here, you really did get a great boat.

I would recommend you consider joining the association and buying the manual.

.... oh yea,...... and using the search button....

s/v 'Faith'

1964 Ariel #226
    Link to our travels on Sailfar.net

THANK YOU FOR THE WELCOME!! I really feel like the new kid in school here, and it is really nice to be greeted with an instant and friendly welcome. I am still going through all the past posts, gleaning ideas and experiences and advice, and getting a good laugh here too. Love it, and can't get enough! Thanks again for the warm welcome, David

Well done. It'll be nice to see #5 come back to life.

We're always happy to tell people how to fix things.

Much easier than working on our own boats

Glad you had got it, I was considering, purchasing it myself and doing the unthinkable, For the price, thats the spinaker pole, the rest is gravy. But thankfully someone else, who has a heart, got her.
    #97 "Absum!"

Let the work (and spending) begin...

Hi everyone, Here's an update on the salvation of Hull #5. Yesterday it was hot, very hot, here in MD. Started the day with the obligatory trip to the hardware store to "tool up" for the day. 75' Hose; check. Spray nozzle; check. 1 gallon Simple Green; check. Chemical Stripper; check. Scrapers, kinves, blades, scrubbing pads, rags, sandpaper; check, check, check. From there, Off to "The Boat"! I have a strange feeling that everything in my life, from now until she is in the water and sailing, will BE "The Boat", my next great cause in life.

Spent the entire day scrubbing and cleaning and stripping the boat stem to stern. She's looking better, but still a long way from good. Among the many other things, her deck drains were clogged and like many others have said before, what one would think would be a ten minute task turned into about an hour and a half of unhooking, investigating, tool improvization and in the end, I felt like the chimp with the stick in hand at the termite mound, poking and proding. Unlike the chimp though, there was no meal to reward my effort, but instead I did finally have a clean deck and free-flowing scuppers. Woo-hoo!

Next, onto cleaning the hull up. Since the deck drains were clogged for (I assume) the past 6 years, and being one of the early commaders with no notches at the stern rail to let the piled up water off, the stagnant, NASTY pool of organic detris and bird droppings had severely stained the decks alongside the coamings. Amazingly, the decks seem solid here, although the winch bases were shot (not cool). The coamings themselves were in sad shape cosmetically, but in spite of the longitudinal splits, the wood itself is still good and solid; a testimony to the builders not skimping on thickness - mine are still in excess of 3/4" thick - beefy compared to my other 30 footer with about a half-inch, they look and feel wimpy compared to the Commander's.

But back to the hull, the overflow from the lakes on the sides had badly stained the topsides with a nice green fungal/mossy green and black. UggH! I put some serious arm and ass into the hand scrubbing at these places and it paid off - the topsides are passing at C-/D+. They will need refinishing of course anyway, but it does leave a much nicer impression on the eye, especially from about 20'.

Figuring that I might get the nastiest work done first and move on to more pleasant things next weekend, I next attacked the brightwork. I used a chemical stripper to get the bulk of the old varnish off, and things went pretty fairly. I have used the strippers before, and I tried to keep things as neat and orderly. I would love to post the before-and-after shots of the companionway and washboards, but I haven't yet figured out how to post them. Will work on it. I'll give another update next weekend. Thanks all for the inspiration and commaradeship.

Important Items

You young whippersnappers are all get up and go and work work. Brewski's and bow ornaments (Commander Pete can assist you here as well) are absolutely necessary to create the proper work environment.

Wondered if The wife and I were the only ones to refer to her as "the boat" I imagine it's due to the lack of an appriciable name.
    #97 "Absum!"

Hull #5 Update

Hi all!

Work continued yesterday on Commander 5. I have just about completed the stripping and sanding of the exterior brightwork. Some instances took up to 6 applications of Strypeze to get all the old varnish off, but underneath the mohogany looks clean and unmolested. The wood rails under the companion hatch guides were particularly dirty and ugly; nearly black with flaking old varnish, but they cleaned up especially nice - the wood looked nearly blonde underneath after the repeated strip and scrape. They seemed to glow and to say "ahhhhh, thank you" to the air and sunlight. The washboards look like new wood, and the tall forward portion of the coamings looks beautiful from a bow angle - looking good. I'll keep you posted. DF

Welcome to the fleet of Commander and Ariel afictionados. In this day an age of throw away everything (thats rapidly comming to an end) these fine ol' boats of charactor, tradition and seaworthiness will never be out of style.To bring back one of these classic glass Pearsons says a lot about somethings. Commander # 105, Njord, Portsmouth, Virginia. Best of sailing to you.
    Last edited by Robert Lemasters; 06-26-2006 at 07:37 AM.

Thank you for the encouraging and kind words Robert. I am trying to work on her every chance I get, but unfortunately my 4th of July weekend plan got eighty-sixed by an unexpected death in the family, and I had to head down to North Carolina for a few days for the funeral.

My original plan had me off work for five full days and all my brightwork sanded and sealed with at least a few coats of varnish before returning to work on Wednesday morning; what actually happened is that I just barely got done stripping the last of the wood this morning and had not even a starter coat of varnish on anything before a storm brewed up this afternoon. So much for my big plans...

I have owned the boat for three weeks now and I am starting to find some of the hidden problems. For one thing, with the boat having been out of the water for some six years now, the wooden rudder is thoroughly dried out and has gaps between the boards as wide as a quarter-inch in some places. I know the wood will swell and close these gaps (to a point), but should I be looking at having it rebuilt if they are that wide? Any advice would be helpful.

I also would like to ask everyone if anyone has a template for the tiller? Mine had fallen completely apart and was in ribbons (when I just snapped it right off the head with a flick of the wrist.) I would like to replace it with an exact factory spec'd tiller. Again all help appreciated.

To sum up my weekly report to you all, Hull #5 is looking respectably aged, but she is beginning to take on the appearance of a boat which is being cared for and under repair - she no longer has that sad dull look of abandonment to her. The work continues and I am already prone to standing there and just gazing at her for a few minutes before getting back in the car and leaving her - with a smile on my face! I only wish I was retired and could work on her every day! Cheers all! David

Quote Originally Posted by Commander#5
    I also would like to ask everyone if anyone has a template for the tiller? Mine had fallen completely apart and was in ribbons (when I just snapped it right off the head with a flick of the wrist.) I would like to replace it with an exact factory spec'd tiller.
    The original Pearson tiller is a knee smacker. IMHO, you are better off with one that curves up to clear the legs of those sitting in the cockpit. Also, a higher handle means that when standing you won't raise the tiller fitting off the tiller head and risk bending the tangs. There are a couple of stock tillers sold by West that will work nicely.

+ Reply to Thread