+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Commander headed to Hawaii !?

Hybrid View

Thank you Bill.

I did send an e-mail. Unfortunately it came back as undeliverable. I removed the somewhat suspicious 'L' in the address (seemed like a typo) and it seems to have gone through this time.

Hopefully he will reply. I'll let you know.

Mike -
    I suspect that you may be correct. I hear that the islands are not as sailboat friendly as I might have hoped. Maybe it would be a good strategy to search for a deal there, or just hire one when the urge hits...

I'm still struggling with this however; Not knowing anyone in HI, I will have lots of time that would be well spent working on the boat and sailing...

If she does not go, all this time she'll be sitting sadly over here waiting for my occasional return, or worse yet - she'll be in the hands of someone else who will be enjoying her.

Grrrrr...

Antonio, just a peep from the peanut gallery...

I tend to be stupidly sentimental, and if I had a chance to ship my beloved boat along with me, at no cost other than figuring out the logistics - I'd jump at it! I imagine trying to replace a beloved boat that you've put a lot into would be difficult, especially one of these gems. It's rare to find a really decent Ariel/Commander not needing a lot of work for sale these days. (A50 and A3 from this board excepted)

And Hawaii not sailboat friendly? I find that extremely difficult to believe! Difficult to find a marina? Almost certainly. Local knowledge would be very helpful for that. But, learn to scuba dive and take the boat! You won't be sorry.

Worst case, I'd vote for the "sail her to San Diego and store it in the dry (free of charge) at my parent’s home" route. Can't lose with that one.

In any event, good luck - and when it gets frustrating, just remind yourself - you could have worse problems than trying to decide whether or not to ship your sailboat to Hawaii...

PS. In addition to the owner name Bill is passing on, I know there's a lady in Hawaii on the Yahoo Triton list. Might be worth getting in touch with her too.
    Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)

mbd - I can definitely relate to your comments. I would really like to take the boat even if only to be able to WORK on it!

But I have decided to leave it behind. Mainly because of the difficulty in finding a place to moore it. The best estimate was a year's wait...

So, in California it stays...
    I've spent 2 of the last 3 weeks in Hawaii and I can't find a way to make this work reasonably...

I hoping to negotiate reimbursed for the cost of a trailer in liu of shipping costs to Hawaii... At least that way I can store it AND have it be somewhat mobile for when I am back in town. This is a nice compromise I think. I can keep the boat and perhaps even use it occassionally.

I am off sailing these next couple of days. I cannot wait. Off to Berkeley to catch the fireworks over the holiday! This should be fun.

Had a great day sailing yesterday. I went out with a friend whose only other experience sailing had been as a recent passenger on my boat. She did really well though. We had a great time.

No sailing in my own boat in Hawaii then... but I plan to be crewing in Hawaii and beyond as much as I can. I hear the passage to Tahiti is a good one... (?)

I will also get started on power kites and will look into rowing with the traditional outrigger canoe groups...

Other than that, I guess I'll use Hawaii as a jumping off point for travel eastward - the bit of ocean between Hawaii and the coast of china is the only gap (in longitude) missing from my travels...

Thnks for the help!

Antonio

+ Reply to Thread