I have sailed quite a few boats (all under 30’) within large harbors or along the coast, in Australia, Turkey, Mexico, The Netherlands, etc. but being fairly new to boat ownership; I'd appreciate some insight on heading to Hawaii...

I have never done a major passage. I do not have a GPS, and I am not all that good at celestial navigation, but I am fairly confident we'll make it.

-I plan on SHIPPING the boat to Hawaii, you see...

Sorry for the lead-on!

A bit of background:
The day after taking delivery of a lovely Pearson Commander (Hull #155), I was made aware that our San Francisco Bay Area office is 'going away', and I was asked to relocate.

There were several alternatives, but the least offensive option was Honolulu, Hawaii. (can't beat the SF Bay area!)

So I am either Hawaii-bound for a couple of years, or I'll need a new job... Hmmm...

I really like #155 and would like to hold on to her. I’m told that I am only the 3rd owner, and that it has been in the Bay area all of its life. If I sold her, I would likely have to pay much more than I did to replace her with a similar boat later...

I’ve just heard that my relocation package has been approved. This includes shipping of the boat to Hawaii and back; so the shipping cost to Hawaii is not an issue in the decision. (Although it does hurt that the cost of shipping will be about the replacement cost of the boat.)

There is a bit of risk… The return trip is paid for by my company only if I remain there for at least 1.5 to 2 years.

Now I find myself looking for a bit of advice regarding the following issues;

1. Impact on the boat due to shipment to Hawaii.

- Any issues with shipping damage? Do these boats travel well? Do they suffer greatly from the out-of-water stresses related to shipping? - to the dock on a truck, then at sea in a container, then trucked out of the port, etc.?

2. The Advantages / Disadvantages of taking this boat to Hawaii.

- I have been to Hawaii (mostly for work) many times, but have not sailed anywhere there. I have not even looked into the Hawaiian sailing scene. I would like some insight as to the appeal of sailing in Oahu & around the other islands vs. keeping the boat in the SF bay and coming back to sail here periodically?

- How suitable is the commander for the sort of waters around Hawaii? Is it worth taking to begin with?

3. Moorage

- Any insight on where to keep the boat; the availability (and pricing) of slips. I hear roumors that slips are in very short supply, and could be too expensive – Like everything else in Hawaii… (I now have a few Marinas’contact info and will start making phone calls; but I wonder if there is some local insight/experience on this topic lurking on the board)

4. Finaces

- Any insight about Boat prices on the West coast vs Hawaii? Say I wanted to avoid the expense of shipping the boat selling #155 and buying something else there? Are boats significantly cheaper, or more expensive to buy in Hawaii?

- Should I take her over and risk having to sell her there if I should decide to come back prior to the agreed term?

- Should I consider selling the Commander here in San Francisco and either getting another boat in Hawaii, or should I look to just crew on other boats while in Hawaii like I used to prior to purchasing the Commander?

- Should I sail her to San Diego and store it in the dry (free of charge) at my parent’s home and keep her for my return in a couple of years?

5. Logistics

- If she is going; Should I take the opportunity install a hinged mast-step (I believe a Tabernacle is the proper term?) as the mast will need to be de-stepped for shipping. I would like to replace the mast-step (block of wood) itself somewhat soon…

- Anything else I should take care of/look into if I’ll be going through this de-step process?

Thank you for any insight provided…

Antonio