+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Hatchboard storage

Here are a couple of pics of the hatch board bag... I do not know where it came from - I inherited it... But i think it is quite spifffy...

the background is a bit overexposed as it was getting late...

I like it because there is no fumbling the get to the boards I need and it is nicely padded to keep the varnish intact. It lives in the Port cockpit locker ready to access.

mbd's built-in strorage is quite elegant. You must have an inboard... (I need that space for my outboard). What are those hoses for in the lazarette? Does that hole in the side access your locker?

I also like epiphany's envelope design, but I think these are all viable... The key is the padding if your boards are varnished.
    Attached Images    
    Last edited by Rico; 06-06-2010 at 10:47 PM.

Dang Rico

It's not nice to show us something as nice as that for hatch board storage and then tell us yoiu have no clue where it came from. :-)
    JERRY CARPENTER - C147
    A man can succeed at almost anything for which he has unlimited enthusiam.

drop board bag - maybe

Happened to have Cabela's current 2010 camping catalog open.

If you want a ready-made padded bag, a stove bag might do the trick.
    They have separate compartments for the stove, griddle and a skillet.
    And the 'two-burner' bag MIGHT be long enough to take our drop-board width.
    It's maybe a little too tall. $20.

Might also hold the bug screen, or an alternative vented dropboard?
    Last edited by ebb; 06-07-2010 at 07:46 AM.

Thanks ebb for the tip. For me I think I have the wife talked into making a bag for me to store the hatch boards. But your thought about the added slot for a vented board was a great idea and something I will have her include.
    JERRY CARPENTER - C147
    A man can succeed at almost anything for which he has unlimited enthusiam.

drop board covers

Using Kurt's great idea (post #14)*:

Authentic Polar-Tec 200 fleece fabric and some velcro would make a nice COMPACT sleeve system.
    Tough, long lasting, doesn't pull out of shape, won't rot, won't hold water, great colors,
    soft enuf for the finest varnish!
    Not Walmart polyester blanket material. It's the stuff used for warm outdoor jackets. Fabric store should have it.
    online: www.milldirecttextiles.com

*Can see the envelope part being an oversized flap that wraps around the bundle top and bottom of the horizontal. The short end would also have an extension that wraps and velcos around the open ends.
    Simpler and more compact would be single layer fleece material sewn into a single bundle of pockets with an end flap.
    Extra pockets not only for a vent board but also clear plastic coverboards that let light in?

Later Edit:
    Commander 227"s (on page two here)
    use of TopGun material for storage of the boards in the cockpit locker makes me think that that a fleece bundle could be put into a hanging bag just like that, happy as a hen in her nest. A separate bag could be made for heavier alternate cover boards of plastic - and the companionway noseeum netting.
    The Top Gun hangers could be secured to the locker LID itself keeping them out of the way of bulky stuff rummaged in the locker!
    Last edited by ebb; 09-03-2011 at 08:10 AM.

Mounted bag

The recent posts on this thread inspired me to do something about my sliding hatch situation.
    I sewed up the bag with scraps of Top Gun and sized it so its top mounting screws are hidden by the lazerette lid and the lower screws go into the plywood divider that keeps stuff from falling into the bilge.
    Attached Images  

That takes the cake. No question. Your skills on just casually rocking out a project blow me away.

+ Reply to Thread