+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hatchboard storage

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.

Hatchboard storage

I never really found a good place to store the hatchboards. I kinda wedge them in somewhere.

Anybody come up with an idea?

It would pain me to buy something

http://shop.trailersailor.com/detail...9473&group=302
    Attached Images  

A PO built a holder for the hatchboards, sort of like a magazine rack, with two separaters on each side to keep the three boards apart when stowed. It's mounted in the aft locker against the cockpit wall - not sure if it would work if you have an outboard though. But it's great. I take out the boards, stow them, and forget about 'em. The same thing would work just as well in a cockpit locker too...

If I can ever get back to the boat I'll snap a pic.
    Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)

I always stuck them behind a cushion under the sink , handy and out of the way.

Commanderpete, I was out sailing today by myself for a couple of hours. You must have read my mind, I was thinking the same thing. One of the washboards dropped on my toe(add own cuss words and oaths), and mine are somewhat heavy.I thought about replacing the washboards with a two part door? Has anyone done that, if so I would be very much interested in seeing what they have done. There are just too many things here and there and everywhere to keep secured all of the time.

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.
    Willie made some doors. I think we've seen some others

Check out these beauties

http://www.pearsonariel.org/discussi...s+companionway

Yeh, Commanderpete,that's what I have in mind. Good winter project after the furler. Those are beautiful doors, I should be able to make them myself. Willie, if you read this, I'm going to steal your door designs.Great job, welldone.I had proped the washboards up against the cockpit seat, slam right on my big barefoot toe before I even left the dockthis mourning.

Post Manual

Appendix A of the manual has plans for companionway doors beginning at p. 62.

Here's the hatch board storage in the aft lazaret in my boat.
    Attached Images  
    Mike

I have a little sewing project that I'm surprised I'm not finding a pattern for on the net... See http://picasaweb.google.com/kyle.amy.sadie/Hatchboards#slideshow/5475017589729999490 for my mock-up. (for all the other good technology, an iPhone has a %&$# camera) My plan is to use sailcloth for the outside (I have a mystery jib that is asking to be sacrificed) and duck cloth / denim for the inside panel and pockets. (the latter for a little bit of cushion for the boards.) Pockets facing, they fold up on each other from the bottom. The flap goes over and Velcros closed - (Embroidered "Lucky Dawg" (by someone else, not me) will be the crowning glory.) I have to space the seams out between boards/pockets for the folded dimensions... To date, it isn't uncommon for my hatch boards to go clattering across the cabin floor in a blow. Will be nice to get them contained and I have a good spot for them by the battery. I actually like the pic from Mike above, but I'm not sure where I'd locate that aboard. It will be a learn as I go project - will keep you posted.
    Last edited by Lucky Dawg; 05-24-2010 at 08:06 PM.

That looks like a good idea Kyle. It'll keep them from getting scuffed up too...
    Mike

Kyle, that is a really good idea. Good sewing projects like that just add a certain touch of class to a boat. Like the owner cares. Everything has a place and a value that justifies it being there on board. I am a little concerned about the size though...

Mike, I like Sea Glass' storage for the hatchboards. You're still holding out on us when it comes to photos, aren't you?
    My home has a keel.

I like your design Kyle -

I inherited a lovely hatch board bag to store the boards...
    It was custom made, and just the right size for the boards. It is made of nice thickly padded material all-around and has a nicely padded slot for each board. On the outside it has a top zippered padded cover, carying handles, and some storage pockets where I now habitually store things such as keys and phone when underway.
    I keep it at the bottom of the cockpit locker where it sits comfortably, keeping the boards handy, as well as well protected.

I like to keep the bottom two boards handy in case of big swells.
    (I have to admit that I've yet to feel like I need to put them in for this reason though!)

I'll post a picture shortly...
    Last edited by Rico; 05-25-2010 at 12:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony G View Post
    I am a little concerned about the size though...
    Hey Tony, in what way?

The setup that Pete posted in #1 above might be easier to handle - rather than my plan of it unfolding out flat at approx 48" x 23" - while standing at the hatch. The side-by-side configuration is just beyond my sewing capabilities. (Not to say that my plan isn't also...) I think, however I can do it for well under 80 bucks (closer to 10 without embroidered hull name) and I'll enjoy the outcome more.

I'll be interested, Rico, in how yours is configured.

Reading this thread, I came up with the following idea. Should be very cheap to make, and will be very easy to sew, since it is all straight lines and no fancy corners or anything. Made right, when the envelope gets inverted over the sleeves, that will hide the stitching of the envelope part.

Name:  hatchboard_storage_sleeve.jpg
Views: 1314
Size:  32.3 KB

The envelope piece will need to be a bit larger than the rest, since it will need to have room enough to fold over the others with boards in the sleeves. It could also be made just like the sleeves (leaving the end open @ opposite the sleeve openings), and slid over them from the end similar to how a spinnaker sock works, with either a drawstring or velcro'ed flap for enclosure.
    Kurt - Ariel #422 Katie Marie
    --------------------------------------------------
    sailFar.net
    Small boats, long distances...

Nice! I like this idea better than my beach towel sized configuration. I think it would be about as easy to sew either, but this one, with the "envelope" as a separate piece (your alternate idea) compacts the work stowing process. Maybe make the sleeves out of leftover interior cushion sunbrella fabric that I have and the envelope out of the old sail. I am wondering though if my sewing machine will go through 8 layers of sunbrella... Thanks for taking the time to illustrate!

+ Reply to Thread