+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Commander Boom Vang Location?

Commander Boom Vang Location?

I'm considering adding a boom vang to my Commander. I've searched the site and in all the information about boom vangs I cannot find any info on how far aft of the gooseneck to locate the bale for attaching the vang to the boom. I'd appreciate any advice from the many voices of experience in the group.

Thanks

I read somewhere or another that the geometry of the vang to the boom and mast should form an equilateral triangle. I doubt that it would be possible for that ideal vang geometry on our Commanders should that be true. The ideal point for boom attachment needs research as all boats are differant in some ways. I have added two padeyes on the cabin top, port and starboard sides, for anchoring the vang when running wing and wing on my Commander. I haven't attached the vang yet, I'm not that sure about drilling into the boom for the bail, does it need some sort of compression thing-a-ma-jig inside the boom for the bolt to go through etc? I will/may wait to have the work done when I can afford a rigger . I plan on adding a furler and a backstay adjuster and maybe a few other things next year to make sailing easier and safer sinse I will be single handing it a lot.
    Last edited by Robert Lemasters; 05-10-2006 at 08:43 AM.

The location for the (soft) vang attachment on the boom of Maika'i is 45 inches from the mast.

Before changing to the rigid vang, a mast bail was fastened near the bottom of the mast. One end of the vang was attached to the bail using a snap shackle on the block assembly with the cam cleat. The block without the cam cleat fastens to the boom using a boom bail.

See P892 of the latest West Marine catalog . . .

+ Reply to Thread