+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: "revival" for sale

Jib...note: the jib is new...genny near new and a 2nd vey servicable spare genny
    Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by frank durant
    genny with window and a set of reef points
    Pardon my ignorance, but how do you reef a genny? (Without roller furling of course.)
    Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)

Thumbs up reefing headsails

Simple;
    Lower the halyard , tie up the foot , tighten the halyard and move the sheet lead forward . That method is over a century old .

Yeah, but why not just change the head sail? - assuming you've got another, that is. I suppose reefing would be a lot faster though, huh?
    Last edited by mbd; 04-27-2006 at 07:01 AM.
    Mike

THATS THE POINT...one less sail to store. This brings a 150 down to approx a 130 size. While not to racing standards , it does allow a cruiser more versatility for different wind conditions while taking up less space....way less $$$ too !!! I'l post a better pic tonight
    Last edited by frank durant; 04-27-2006 at 07:53 AM.

Frank, Your plans make sense to me. Maybe I missed it, but could you give us the make/yr of your pictured pocket cruiser?

P.S. Your beautiful Ariel seems cheap at that price. If she was docked at my lake, she'd have a Sold sign....after I sold you that I deserved her.
    Last edited by xroyal; 04-27-2006 at 08:37 AM.

The 'pocket cruiser' is a 1993 20ft "flicka".It may be THEE finest 'original condition' flicka in existance.Owned by a lovely lady....her husband died in 1988..she found their irwin 30 to be too much to solo and went looking for a used flicka. ...finally ordering 'new'.It has only been freshwater sailed..always stored inside during the off season and is truly MINT.I feel very lucky to have found it. PS...'revival' truly IS a bargain to anyone that understands boats
    Last edited by frank durant; 04-27-2006 at 02:56 PM.

Mike...here's the close up of the reefing point...basically the same as a main
    Attached Images  

The 'pocket cruiser' is a 1993 20ft "flicka".
    Ahhh, Flickas. Such shippy little rascals! My first love, then came the more affordable and graceful Alberg hulls of the Ariels and Tritons... You do it right Frank, all around! No doubting your fine taste.

And thanks for the pics too. Headsail reefing would be a real handy feature when it gets snotty all of a sudden.

Sorry to hijack your thread.

Back to the topic - someone buy this boat!!!
    Mike

Thanks, looked familiar, but I'd never seen a Flicka out of the water. What a safe feeling she's gonna give you in blue water. In case anyone would like to see the some Flicka details (along with bigger brother Dana 24):

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...&pbsint=&ps=30

And none as new as yours. I like the way the saloon and v-berth combine for a spacious feeling.

Envy is my name!

I am sure I will enjoy cruising in the lil flicka ...BUT...I am sure I will miss #50. The flicka will not be as fast..nor as pretty a boat.I always truly enjoyed the trip back to revival in the dingy.Carl drew beautiful boats !!

The flicka will not be as fast..
    Very close though.

According to Carl's Sailing Calculator:

Pearson Ariel - LWL 18.5, Hull Speed - 5.76
    Flicka (IB) - LWL 18.16, Hull Speed - 5.71
    Mike

If I didn't have Commander #274 I would buy your boat. After seeing all your photos and the enhancements you made I would gladly pay the $7500. Even though my Commander was only $2000, I expect to put many many $ into it and it will still not be like what you did. Your ship is a bargain...

Thanks for the thoughts Stephan.As to the price being a "bargain"...I think so.I have over $5000 into Revival...AFTER I purchased her!.....not counting any labour !! There would be another $3000 if I allowed myself $10 per hour !! At this point I would really like to see Revival go to someone that appreciates her and will take good care.These are classic boats and should be kept up. As to price.. If a person takes a "bargain" $1000 Ariel , adds paint for bottom,hull,deck and interior along with the materials to prep,adds a knotmeter,a depthsounder,a good compass,sails,anchor,thruhulls,water tank,bilge pumps,hoses,windex,vhf arial,head-tank-Yvalve,engine(a decent OB is $1500+)throw in cushions...int and cockpit,dodger,sunshade,boarding ladder,main cover ...now fix the wiring,install new lights,a gimballed oil lamp would be nice....etc etc.....NOW ..add up all the hours involved ...yep #50 is a bargain even if it was bought for $1000 and only had a "rooller/tipped"paint job instead of a professional Awlgrip spayed one.(note to Mike Goodwin...yes I know and have seen exellent roller/tipped jobs...but by pros)I would truly like to see a younger person get revival that plans to "explore". The price would be lower if the person 'felt like a good fit' to me.Sounds corny ..but if I'm going to loose anyway...I at least I want it to be to the right person. If interested , I can be e-mailed at fdurant@ 0 webhart.net simply leave out the spaces and the 0 in that e-mail address (don't want spam etc)
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by frank durant; 05-07-2006 at 06:52 PM.

for anyone thinking 'shipping',,$1.00 per mile is a bit 'light' now. I had Revival shipped down to Florida from L I N Y 2+ yrs back at $2500. It ain't cheap....but niether is moving it yourself !

+ Reply to Thread