+ Reply to Thread

Thread: couple technical questions

Hybrid View

Exclamation its like I said before

that condition will be encountered on all older fiberglass hulls.its kinda like an old age problem---go to any haul out yard and you will see this seepage on all size hulls from the same areas----the fasteners that hold the gudgeons to the hull are called wrist pins----they are not nuts and bolts---they are similar to rivits---they need to be drilled out---if water continues to seep out and you dont have the time to allow it to dry thoroughly--as was in my situation----use brass thru bolts and similar hardware ----and use a sealant that will "kick-off" when exposed to water.I used sea-going epoxy.

Janice, nice to hear from you again. I tried to look you up in February but struck out.

The leaky tiki keel just comes with the boat I think. As long as the water doesn't come up inside the bilge I'd have to say you're okay.

The crack? Hmmm. I'm no expert on these wonderful little crafts, but, I can say the tabbing on #113 was very thick around the main bulkhead. In most areas it was over 1/4" thick and didn't crack, lift or peel. That may be only because it would have been easier to remove had it done that!

Could it be the head liner that is cracked? That certainly would be less significant than the main BH tabbing peeling. But, having said that, it could still be an indication of something less than desirable going on.

I'd be more than happy to volunteer my humble services. Just let me know what to pack. Uh, let's see, that'd be shorts, sunglasses, guitar....

+ Reply to Thread