+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tools that work & Etc.

Hybrid View

This particular tool was especially helpful when I removed all of the debris from the sump of my former bilge...

Beautiful!
    A great adaption of the outlawed stadium brewski hat.

Looks like this one has a special T-fitting allowing both cola cans to be emptied simutaneously into the back of the brain - entirely bypassing the stomach.

A couple improvements would be to include
    petcocks at the T for improved flow control. And a chin strap.

Tim,
    I know you're enjoying cucumber sandwiches and iced tea on your dusty-bilged upscale this spring!

Fair winds, far seas, and fast bottoms.
    Last edited by ebb; 05-08-2008 at 06:36 AM.

Thumbs up Lee Valley and Veritas

Tool catalog for Fall 2008 arrived recently in an order. The catalog seems to be more of a supplement this quarter. As usual the art work is beautiful, clearly showing what you might be buying.

Here is a selection of interesting and pertinent stuff:

1) Corrosion Inhibiting Storage Bags.
    They are 4mil polyethylene impregated with a non-toxic corrosion inhibiting vapor. Example: Ten 10"X12" bags for $8.10. Other sizes. I feel tools are much better stowed in soft bundles than space robbing plastic cases. These could be overwrapped in canvas or sunbrella pieces and tucked into the triangular spaces that abound in our boats. Maybe small cordless tools could be wrapped in this stuff?
    [ McMasterCarr has these blue bags (cat pg 1514) AND also rolls of corrosion inhibiting film (pg 1523) for ferrous and nonferrous metals. They do not say whether the vapor is non-toxic. Have no way of knowing if they are the same product as Lee Valley's.]

2) Blindman's Fractional Electronic Caliper.
    Does it all, mm, fractions and inches - converts back and forth and is 'hardened stainless steel'. $42. Recently had to check on the guage of some metal. Each of the three analog calipers I found had a different reading. Time for my first digital. [This is not a $300 tool - so it may be chinese.]

3) Universal Thread Restorer.
    Hardened steel cutters adjust to any style and pitch or direction of thread. Tool is compact and rotated around the thread. $26.50. [Can't fix threads in holes.]

4) H D Duct Tape.
    Non delaminating, leaves no residue, water resistant. 90' roll $7.95. [But will it stick to damp surfaces? How long will it last in the sun?]

5) Stainless Canisters with see through acrylic disk tops.
    $3.40 / $3.70. 3.3oz and 6.8oz - for small parts storage, large mouth, rounded edges (spun stainless) friction seal tops. Just might be better for some things than plastic bottles.

6) Clamptite Tool.
    Tool and Wire $32. Makes permanent hose clamps with s.s. wire. Chromed steel and aluminum - might store well in above bag. Not sure what access is needed to hose and fitting. [Wire is wire - and you can find all 316 band clamps with rolled edges these days - for a price.]

7) Clamshell Scissors.
    $4.95. Serrated s.s. blades for cutting wire, thin sheet metal, leather, fabric and welded clamshell packaging. Styled like fabric scissors, off-set handles for flat surfaces makes this versatile.

8) Lifetime Knife Sharpener.
    $15.50. 'Sub-micron carbide particles' on the blades, but each can be reset to another edge 4 times. Considered a 'single pass' sharpener. Can be set for left-handed use. Said to have a 'long as you live' guarantee! [Will it sharpen the wavy edge blade on the leatherman?]

This is a selection of some of the stuff that might be useful aboard. I've left out many items.

__________________________________________________ _____________________________________________
    Unnecessary to say: I'm not an agent for these people.

There must be an old aphorism that states:
    A good tool is more constant than a good friend!
    Last edited by ebb; 10-14-2008 at 12:46 AM.

Pella Oil Extractor

Got one of these this Spring after my stupid little hand-pump oil changer thing leaked all over the place last Fall. If you hate changing oil like I do, get one! I had so much fun, I changed the lawn mower and snow blower oil while I was at it! Great little device!
    Attached Images  
    Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)

What do we do with the used oil these days?

I don't think my oil change franchise accepts used oil anymore.
    My off brand quick gas doesn't advertise taking it.

Last I checked, our Jiffy Lube would take it.
    Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)

+ Reply to Thread