+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tools that work & Etc.

Hybrid View

PorterCable Vac

Hey Jerry, I thought I read here a post that didn't give it 5 stars.

And I just went back 3 pages to scan it all (this guy ebb sure talks too much!!!)
    Didn't find it.

Anyway, I'll look into the PorterCable vac - which I don't know.

I have had many years of great service from my Fein dust collector/vacuum. It uses a washable pre filter and a disposable HEPA filter. It also has a socket to plug in your electric sander, table saw, etc. so the vac turns on and off with your tool. It has logged hundreds of hours often running 8 hours a day and still works like the day I opened the box. It is also pretty quiet.
    Mike
    Last edited by Commander227; 05-09-2010 at 06:02 AM.

Fein vac info

9-55-13 Fein Turbo II Vac features an automatic on-off switch
    Plug your sander into the panel mounted outlet. When you turn your sander on, the vac starts automatically. When you shut your sander off, the vac continues to run for 3 seconds to clean the hose.

The Fein Turbo II is designed for heavy, continuous, industrial use. The Turbo II can handle power tools with inputs of 40 to 2000 watts (.3 to 19 amps). The powerful two-stage motor offers bypass cooling. This means that if the hose or filter become blocked, air will still cool the motor.

Producing a mere 57.8 dB(A) noise level at 3.5 feet, the Fein Turbo II is one of the quietest vacs available on the market today.

Depending on your requirements and the nature of materials you are working with, available filtering capabilities include:

standard 5 micron
    optional 1 micron
    optional .3 micron HEPA filters
    The vac can be used wet or dry. There is a large selection of available accessories.

Includes
    16' hose (1 1/4"dia.)
    Adapter (hose to tool)
    5 micron Filter Cloth
    Model: 9-55-13
    Auto Start: Yes
    Watts: 1050
    Static water lift: 90 inches
    Air flow: 116 cfm
    Net Weight: 28.6 lbs
    Power Cord Length: 16 ft.
    Hose length: 16 ft.
    Capacity dry: 9 gallons
    Capacity wet: 6.8 gallons
    Dimensions: 24 7/8" * 16 1/2"
    Attached Images  

I was wondering if any of you uses 110V power tools through an inverter off their 12V system. I'm living on a can, and would like to use my little trim router and a Fein Multimaster knockoff from Harbor Freight without having to find a dock sometimes. The starting current on those babies is likely way higher than their continuous draw, so I know I have to get some serious device.

Also, the Admiral would LOVE to be able to run a hair dryer (even if only for 5 minutes on 'low'). I got three batteries so I think I ought to be able to handle that on the supply side. Any advice?

I've run a Porter-Cable trim saw off a 12V inverted and a power planer. You should be able to run a small router or detail sander. How long you can run them is the question. Hair Dryer? It all depends on the wattage of your inverter and batteries.
    Last edited by Ariel 109; 05-26-2010 at 12:32 PM.

success

I bought and tried:

http://www.harborfreight.com/750-wat...ter-66817.html

That thing, even though cheap, didn't seem to have any trouble running my trim router and multi tool. Even the hair dryer worked - I didn't run it long though to keep my batteries charged. I think I have plenty reserves though since my fridge is currently not running, which usually was the biggest consumer.

$40 inverter

not bad! Better than $440 bucks.

When looking at inverters do we need to know how much juice THEY use?
    I mean are there other inverters that are more efficient.... if that's the term?
    But cost more.

Harbor Freight.
    hmmmmmmm, must be a marine outfit.

Yes Ebb, your concern is valid.
    1. The power draw on idle - I haven't measured it yet but it's probably wise to keep this thing off the batteries when not needed. It might also emit some RF noise. And I'd rather keep an eye on it when it's connected in case it starts burning or something.
    2. Power loss when working - The specs state 'up to 85% efficiency' which is of course a pretty idiotic statement since that would also cover 0% efficiency. This inverter is probably not the best one on the block when it comes to efficiency. That said, it didn't even get warm when I ran my power tool (and the tool got *plenty* hot). Which is a good indication that it's efficiency ought to be around the stated 80%-85%. For my intended use it's working well, and cheap.

+ Reply to Thread