+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tools that work & Etc.

Hybrid View

one hand belt sander, sandpaper source, best tool catalog

I hereby take back any implied recommendation for the PorterCable 371K Compact Belt Sander. See post 81.

Self-centering VixBits:
    You have to have a VixBit to install any hardware, hinges and latches.
    But you can also use them to center holes on non-chamfered hardware, like chocks and cleats. #12 and #14 are good ones to have aboard too. But for those sizes you must shop around. Prices vary a lot, and sometimes a set gets you individual bits significantly cheaper, especially for what they bite you for on those larger ones. GarrettWade has a complete set for about $38. Chinese but nicely made.
    Klingspor Woodshop, the sanding catalog, has #12 and #14 VixBits for $10, $11.
    [I find that instead of futzing with the bit length in a Vixbit, it's more convenient to get the screw-hole spotted in the work, then use a taper drill for the depth screw you are using for the fitting. Or the proper sized straight bit for straight, non-tapered screws that are popular these days. This is the way to do it if you are driving screws into hard wood, and have to tailor the hole.]]

Also, the Klingspor Germans make/sell some of the best sandpapers on the planet!
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____
    My TOOLS THAT WORK candidate for this list is
    PorterCable's 371K Compact Belt Sander (2 1/2 X 14).
    It's about 9" long - and proportionately tall - because the belt has to go round and round, but I've sanded flat surfaces with it.
    It's small, it's weighty, you can find it for around $100 these days. Only PC makes the belts, so you pay for those! Easy to use, it's an ergonomic soft onehanded belt sander, good for edges and flats, made for plywood and frp carpentry. You can hook a small vac diameter hose up to it! Because of its smallness it bears little resemblance to it's larger breathern. The proportionate weight of this sander is a plus in tracking the belt on the work, it's a good feature in an allround nice design. Can get hot.
    Comes in a stupid toosmall case. No slot for extra belts....etc.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____

And for them who like to get tool catalogs, Lee Valley Tools has the most satisfying one in the business. They also feature Veritas which are often jig tools from the past, modernized, updated - beautiful tools in their own right! It's what GarrettWade wishes it was. It's what Woodcraft, Hartville, Rockler will never be. I'd rate it Numero Uno for 'feel good'.
    (Nov. 2010) DON'T BUY THIS SANDER.
    Just had this little belt sander die on me. Went into forums and found one guy who had his die because the DRIVE BELT broke. Amazing how some people don't listen, posters on that site would pop in with their take on sanding belts, not comprehending his post.
    The replacement drive belt costs $26 (when he was writing about his experience) and he opted to get the part and replace it himself because of the downtime in UPSing the tool to an authorized repair shop - and of course what that repair would cost PLUS packaging and shipping and futzing around. The drive belt is 25% of the tool cost.
    And the tool costs too much to toss it. So it will sit in its terribly designed case and die in tool limbo.
    No warning: pushed the switch off and it won't run pushing the switch on now. (So it can be the switch, rather than the drive belt!) The sander didn't have time to get hot this time, altho it warms up and gets really hot to touch where thr tips of the fingers hold the tool. All long term users mention this. You can burn your hand!
    The idea and virtual design is excellent, but the product off the shelf is very flawed. As the guys say, it may have something to do with PorterCable now being owned by Black&Decker - who have earned a rep for cheap junk over the years. PorterCable had a great rep. I still own a couple of their D-handle routers, decades old - the rubber covers on the cords cracking with age - but their toggle switchers still connect.
    (sigh)
    PROS: The tidy size of the belt sander, easy to finesse, had no problems with sanding belt tracking that some rweport. The rubber ergo top has easy location and dust protected on and off push buttons, a nearly dustless vac attachment, and a nice tame cord.....I'll miss these. Never worked the bugger hard. There isn't a whole lot this baby can do. But it's perfect when needed. When can you use a belt sander inside a small boat?
    Never had any nother sander suddenly konk out like this PC371. Nor any other PorterCable tool I've had around. Imco it's a big red flag to stay away from further involvement. Goodbye PorterCable! Hello Makita. They have a two handed 10" long 3X18 that looks promising......
    Last edited by ebb; 11-23-2010 at 08:52 AM.

In the spirit of ebb's post about tool catalogs. I have used Defender Marine for tons of stuff relatively cheap. They have everything from foul weather gear to replacement tillers to safety gear. You name it, they have it. I am probably stating something that most of you already know, but here it the link to their website.
    Jack

+ Reply to Thread