Thread: Tools that work & Etc.

Threaded View

Is Fein really fine?

The Fein MultiMaster is the standard that all other "multifunction power tool" are measured.
    Price: Often the first consideration. Fein is at the most expensive in the $30 to $300 range.

My 250Q Fein does have variable speed. A dial that slows OPM, Oscillations Per Minute down from 21.000.
    At 21,000 you can not see the blade accessory move. There is almost no movement away from the work when the tool is pressed into it. OPM is a prime consideration in buying a clone.
    FMM has a 2 amp motor.

The Fein tool, not under load or working produces 85 decibels (from the literature). That is LOUD.
    Gets louder when working.

Ease of handling the power tool.
    The Multimaster has a 16' cord. It is relative stiff and not easy to coil into the case. But you don't have to be super neat to get the case to close and latch. Metal latches, good.
    Case layout is also good with ample room for accessories. This is a most unusual feature in a dedicated case.
    The case has four little toes at the outer corners of its narrow bottom. It hardly ever keeps standing when you set it down.

The Fein is 9" around with the vacuum suction device. That's a bit much for many people to ergo as a one handed tool. It weighs about 3 3/4 to 4 pounds. That's also considerable. You don't have to force it though, the weight of the tool drives it. It is also 12" minimum long. This may limit apps in a boat.

Since you grasp the barrel, heat build up can be a problem. It forces you to rest the tool. This may be a good thing but it may also mean the tool is under powered. My Fein MM heated up on a tough job. Clones can get hot. Some just by running, according to forums.

Accessories (expensive): I'm not too interested in the handyman aspects. A grouting tool is something that won't get used. But I have read that it can be very useful removing old polysulfide from a teak deck.
    I tried the 14 grit rasp on fiberglass and couldn't see its use.
    The triangular sanding pad won't hold the hookandloop papers on if not kept completely flat. The paper works off at an angle. The profile attachments also are a problem in that the supplied paper rips on the forms when used.

By far the Multimaster does one job well that no other tool can and that is to cut STRAIGHT INTO a surface, like wood or fiberglass (but not metal) without prior prep. Point and Shoot.
    Bi-metal E blades are straight or doglegged and have teeth at the front edge.
    One thing you find out after the first flush of ownership is that the blades are expensive and only Fein blades will attach. GOTCHA!
    There are copies in the market now, but everybody says the Fein are best.
    And the Clamp and Pin method of attaching the blades to the tool gets my vote
    since there isn't an allen wrench to find or get lost. All clones I've heard about use the extra tool. PITA.

Grade: I think we can grade these tools on a scale from handyman to professional.
    One new Multimaster is being sold as Marine specific. To get the 'professional' status, imco, the Fein would have to cut metal. My test would be to trim off bolt and screw ends at the nut.
    My 250Q won't.
    A multifunction power tool won't get used often, like a cordless drill will.....
    But when you need it, it's the only tool that will work. A bitter $300 plus pill.

It may be worth while, after you buy your throw away, to hold off until a CORDLESS multifunction arrives on the scene.
    Maybe Bosch will come aboard with a just as strong - slimmer and lighter - 30 minute charge 18V lithium multi. Can't wait for THAT one!
    SEE google
    Bosch PS50-28 Cordless Max Multi-X-SurfTalk
    Last edited by ebb; 07-20-2010 at 06:35 PM.