Thread: Tools that work & Etc.

Threaded View

Sunglasses for glass wearers

Practical Sailor July'09 looks at and rates $100 to $200 sunglasses.
    Cover photo shows a guy wearing correctives closely inspecting a pair of Harken's with a doodah scope.

This article has a good deal of general knowledge about protecting the eyes with the use of these tools. I'd recommend it for everybody to read. It is. imco, very hard to excuse some of the prices that fashionable glass get. I'm sure there is a perfect pair if you can afford it.

Despite the tech on the P.S. cover wearing corrective glasses, there is not one pair of 'fit-over' sunglasses tested. I wear glasses - and I would think many consumers do. This omission is myopic of P.S. And while not typical certainly typifies the personality of the magazine.

So I got edjucated but I got no help.

All on my own I discovered SOLAR SHIELD. Wearing them for years.

They are sunglasses that are sculpted to stand off from your face enough for your regular glasses and still keep the sun out of the eyes. Imco they are really nice looking, even stylish. Fairly comfortable considering there are double frames on your nose. They come grey and amber/copper and clear.
    You must make sure you get the polarized ones.
    I like the amber and find them clear enough to wear even at night in oncoming traffic.
    They don't fold small.
    The earpieces get very skinny in section and can break. My last pair did but then they live on the UV dash of the truck.
    They have kept their natty new appearance for years despite the high heat and knocking around with other pairs on the dash.

Found some recently on the net for $18.95.
    They come in two or three widths, which gives them some custom. They supposedly are available in drugstores, but I haven't noticed.
    Worn them while sailing, and had them stay on without using Croakies.

Can see having these aboard like you do extra lifevests, for your guests. (Put some tape or mark on them because they might leave with them too!)

For what they are I'd rate them one to five with a
    Last edited by ebb; 07-17-2009 at 09:03 AM.