I have read this entire thread through a couple of times and I'm having a little problem understanding ya'll's verdict on the Fein Multimaster. I saw an infomercial on this tool recently, was impressed and thought that it would be ideal for just about any project aboard or around my house so I went out today and bought one (I still have the receipt and I haven't opened it yet). Here's my problem. Sirocco is my first sailboat and I don't know "come here" or "sic 'em" when it comes to sailboat projects. I can't speak to projects like you guys can. After practically living on this site and the Plastic Classic site, I know that I don't have ya'll's knowledge about sailing, boats in general, repair, or even knowing what the hell I'm looking at, but, I'm not afraid to pick up a tool and get after a project as long as I have some kind of an idea of what it's supposed to look like, or be, or do, when I'm finished. I possess a very high mechanical aptitude but not a lot of experience. This tool almost seems to say - "Hold my beer and watch this...."

So, I have quite a bit of interior and laz sanding to take care of, I need to remove (as in CUT IT OUT) Sirocco's built in icebox, replace the space with dry storage and a nav table, open the engine bay a couple inches, remove a stubborn looking gasoline tank and sand the fiberglass or gelcoat in the "under" cockpit area, and that's just part of the idea I had for this tool. I also need to retile a section of a room in my house that houses my home's hot water tank and then there are all of the other little things that I can use the tool for. The guy I spoke with at the Woodcraft store told me I'd love the tool and really, since I'm not in the same league as Ebb and most of ya'll, I'm inclined to think that plopping down $435.00 for the full Monte Multimaster might not be a bad dollar spent.

So, am I wrong? Can I buy this tool, be well armed when I go after a boat or domestic project and not feel like I've been taken on the money side?